Help! Coyotes.

For every person out there that doesn't want to shoot a predator, there's likely someone that would enjoy the opportunity. You just have to find someone that you trust can do it safely and let them have fun with it.

I'd gladly help you with that if you lived close.

My dogs do a great job of keeping the coyotes away. They stay far away from the places my dogs go, even when they're inside. My neighbor said that before I moved in he used to see them in his yard all the time, now it's a rarity. Dogs are also pretty awesome in and of themselves.

They're also not stupid animals, if you buckshot a few of their friends, they will most likely stay away for a while. Make them associate your chickens with an early death.

I have a soft spot for coyotes because I love dogs, but I won't hesitate to blast one that's getting a little bold with my chickens, ESPECIALLY in daylight. Otherwise, as long as they stay out of my way, I stay out of theirs.
It’s almost a shame that you even compare coyotes to domesticated dogs. Coyotes are predatory vermin & they won’t even snatch a defenseless hen, without a group. I personally know someone that lost a treasured family dog to these pathetic creatures. The only enemies a coyote has is auto bumpers & a fast moving piece of lead.

It’s almost a shame that you even compare coyotes to domesticated dogs. Coyotes are predatory vermin & they won’t even snatch a defenseless hen, without a group. I personally know someone that lost a treasured family dog to these pathetic creatures. The only enemies a coyote has is auto bumpers & a fast moving piece of lead.
I hate coyotes. My sister - who is living with us right now, brought her city dogs with her. Her Black Mouth Cur learned a valuable lesson just a couple of weeks ago. He was down at one of our stock ponds and coyotes approached him - they often times try to lure them with playful banter. Luckily he is strong and fast - my hubby heard him yipe around the bend and whistled for him. He ran home with 3 coyotes nipping and trying to bring him down until they saw us. Got home - smelled horrible and had several wounds in his hind quarters, legs, face and underbelly. Internal and external antibiotics and he is fine now. Did I mention I hate coyotes? I would kill them instantly if they attacked my chickens. No soft spots from me.

I do not understand how anyone can have something that is important & yet they are unwilling or unable to defend said animal or even family member with any amount of force necessary to protect whatever is important.
Also, what is the difference in getting someone else to dispatch the coyotes or in myself feeling the satisfaction of sending a mangy coyote to the happy flea bitten hunting grounds that they deserve? As it has been said previously, coyotes are very skittish & smart. When you do see one, they are almost always moving, especially during the daytime. When one has been permanently bedded down, the rest of the pack will usually avoid that area completely. They remember where danger is & will detour around that location for a long time.
I have been told of another method that is good for large group therapy, but it is not as selective as a bullet in finding said target. 😇

Pistols aren't designed for shooting coyotes but I can assure you it would blow a hole in it.
Every firearm that I have whether has an action that can be cycled. This is not limited to handguns. Long guns, whether bolt or pump has an action that can be cycled. Trust me, the percentage of people that can factually correct me about firearms is fairly low! :thumbsup

Looks like you have acreage , unless I’m reading your post wrong, get a donkey or 2. They will chase off coyotes, and are very good at killing coyotes along with many other predators.
We had a coyote problem a couple years ago ,lost 2 Guinea hens and several laying hens, we bought 2 donkeys and have only seen 1 coyote outside our fence since then. Even found a stomped bobcat in our pasture.
They don’t mess with the chickens or our heritage turkeys, though they didn’t like the white turkeys we had and actually stomped them whenever they caught them out.

Back
Top Bottom