Help! Day 21 anxiety

BillMinor68

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Austin
Okay, this is my first hatch. Baker's dozen of Delawares went in the bator on May 1, six made it past 14 days, today two have hatched and a third is pipping through ever so slowly. The two that hatched are cheeping up a storm and one is pecking away at everything. I read somewhere on here that they can go 24 hours without food/water, but can I slip them something to eat/drink without compromising the possible hatching of the remaining eggs? Also, how long should I wait before I give up on the three that haven't moved/peeped/pipped?

I didn't open the bator if one was zipping, but removed chicks when other eggs were pipped, but VERY QUICKLY. If the third one is banging away at the shell although you only see a pip, leave them in a while. If all's quiet, whip them out, maybe one first and the other when the humidity goes back up.

They'll be ok for a day or so without anything to eat or drink. I'd give the other eggs time to hatch before I'd open the incubator and take the chance of them possibly shrink wrapping in the shell.

It's hard to wait, but unless there is a problem with a hatched or hatching chick, it's the best thing to do.

yeah. waiting is really hard. the two bitties that are out are bouncing all over the place; they've got as much energy as my two and four year olds!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom