Help! Day 22 and wobbling reduced...

Mewmew

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2019
I have one remaining egg- its in a brinsea eco incubator and from day 19 it was wobbling, the most being yesterday at day 21. But no pipping yet. Its one of three that were put together in the bator for lockdown. The first died at day 23, poor baby had its head stuck at the pointy end and never pipped. The second just seemed to stop developing and i removed that one today- it was curled up at the bottom of the egg and looked like the unbilical cord was dettached and the yolk was floating above it. Now this is the last one left. No pipping yet and i tried candling today- its still alive but i cant see where the beak is so i don't know if its in the right position or not. Humidity is good i think- (this incubater model has two wells for water- with both being full at lockdown). Is there anythung i can do to help?? Im worried it wont make it and thats its warn out from all the wobbling yesterday... ideas anyone?

How is it doing now? Babies sleep. It may just be sleeping. As long as your temp & humidity is correct you need to just leave the incubator closed during the hatch. Its hard, I know but if you keep opening it and messing with them, it sucks all the humidity out at once and they can die. I know its tempting and nerve wracking -but not opening it, gives it the best chance.

Coming to the end of day 23, but i candled it a few mins ago to see if it's alive, and it looks like its pipped internally as there is a fuzzy shadow along the base of the air cell. I quickly put it back into the incubator and saw a few more wobbles. Hoping now it can get some of that yummy yolk to give it the strength to break free of the shell. I think what helped is hearing the week old chicks next to it. (Outside of the incubator of course) every time they cheeped, it wiggled. Does anyone know how long it should take to pip externally? Worried that its come this far but as its so overdue, it wont have the strength left to break free....

Give it time. I have seen posted on there that they have had chicks hatch up to day 25. As long as it’s alive and moving it will be ok. Just keep an eye on it just Incase. It will rest a lot takes a lot of strength to break free. It can take hours to external pip then more hours to zip. Patience is virtue. It’s hard but wait.

I have had over due chicks hatch fine, sometimes there is a cooler spot and they grow a little slower. you should hear chirping if it's out into the air cell. if it sounds distressed or like it's getting weaker then step in to help,

I'm worried its weaker. No chirping and i dont know how long ago it pipped the membrane. Still wobbling. Should i step in?
I have had over due chicks hatch fine, sometimes there is a cooler spot and they grow a little slower. you should hear chirping if it's out into the air cell. if it sounds distressed or like it's getting weaker then step in to help,

I'm worried its weaker. No chirping and i dont know how long ago it pipped the membrane. Still wobbling. Should i step in?
if your sure it internally pipped and it's been close to 24 hours carefully make a small whole in the air cell end so they can get more air in there, then place back in incubator and see if that helps for a bit, if you don't hear cheeping soon and you have read the assisted hatching then help. Tagging people as I can't find the article on assisting. I found it lol
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

@Ridgerunner

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom