Help! day 23 and a chirping egg PICS ADDED!

Good grief. Through all this I have never said
welcome-byc.gif

Morning. So it's now 7am EST and the chick hasn't moved but is still breathing. The babe has a lust for life! No more chirping, though.
sad.png
I've upped the humidity, (72%) which is as high as I've been able to get it, set the egg on a moist towel and patted the areas of the membrane that were turning white- all last night. Could it be that the underside of the chick is stuck which is why it can't come out? It's obviously exhausted and I'm hesitant to help it. I feel like if I try again and even get it out that it will be too tired to thrive. It might be better off fading curled up in it's egg than on the floor of an incubator. What do you think? I'm also wondering if it needs to take food or water since it may have hatched the same time as the other one, Sunday evening, if it could have. It can't drink the way it is, but if I could help it's head out? I don't know. What does your experience tell you?

THey are strong little guys. If you get him out without too much blood loss, I believe he will be fine. I'd try to remove a little more membrane this morning. If their isn't much blood I'd keep working until I had him out. If it starts bleeding badly, stop. Then give it 1/2 hr and start again. I really do believe he has a good chance. Hatching the little guys by hand takes a lot of patience. Good luck!

My midwife is on the west coast, so I'm guessing asleep. You guys are awesome though. WHat a great community. I've slowly, with a moist warm Q-Tip gotten the chick out of the egg! It was very dry but I was able to soften things up and get it out. It is now on a towel in the incubator. Still curled in a ball but breathing. It chirped a couple times during the procedure. Now I know it is free, not too sticky and breathing. Now I wait.
Anything else I can do?

Keep her warm...
you did GREAT!!!!

You are a great chickie momma

Edited... I saw earlier you mentioned food/water.... I would would wait until it is stable on it's feet before I offered anything.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping this morning. I think that saved the chick. It's still on it's side, though moving. Just made a big poop! Is that like meconium in human babies? Black and White- not bloody. It does look like one of it's feet is deformed- sort up curled up. It's a silkie so there are a lot of toes. Do these straighten out or not? The other foot looks normal. Sweet little thing. I think it has white feathers.

There are people on here that can help you with the foot if it doesn't straighten out once it stands up... some kind of a splint.

I have 6 white silkies and I
love.gif
them

Poop should be fine... now just breathe
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom