Help? Day 29 Waiting for hatch signs on 8 Pekin duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dntkriner, Jun 8, 2017.

1. dntkriner

dntkriner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2017
    I have been reading this website for days! What a great place to be able to come get help and encouragement from people that have seen it, lived it and can tell about it!
    There is a ton of info here to digest and I'm doing all that I can to make sure we have a successful hatch, but I'm worried I've made a few too many mistakes and they will die in their shells. My temps during the incubation time were set at 99 and humidity average has been around 58%. This is a homemade incubator with a fan. At lockdown, I turned the temp setting down to 98 and increased the humidity, trying to get it to reach 80%, with no avail, and cut the fan off because it had no cover and the ducklings could get hurt if they hit it. I finally quit messing with it and left the humidity as high as I could get it (average 74%). It has been a struggle to keep the humidity up and I have had to open the door to add paper towel wicks and cloth to boost it back up. In the process the eggs have been misted as well. (After reading a ton yesterday, I see that was probably not a good idea now.) I did candle them before lockdown and all looked great and were alive. We had 6 wiggling eggs two days ago and yesterday expected to see something, pips, but nothing. Should I do anything? I am so afraid they are going to die in their shells. (We lost 3 in the shell, perfectly formed our first time trying incubation.) Will the misting cause them harm? Should I gently candle them to check on them? Help, please.

2. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    I've never incubated but mine take 30-32 days to hatch. They will take their time even after they internally pip. Give them a little more time :) And Welcome to BYC! :welcome

3. dntkriner

Jun 5, 2017
    Thank you! I do have one pip on one egg, so I'm going to be patient. I do wonder if I need to keep wetting the rag I have in there and keep the humidity above 70%. I am not planning on misting anymore since I learned from other threads that it is not a good idea after lockdown,

4. dntkriner

Jun 5, 2017
    I guess my misting didn't hurt too much. I have one nice external pip! Yay!

Ravynscroft likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Congrats on the pip!

I aim for 65% humidity as ideal and once they start popping the humidity usually jumps anyways...

Just be patient, ducks take their sweet time!

dntkriner, WVduckchick and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    x2! Sounds like you did better than you thought. Best of luck! :fl

please post some pics when they hatch. (notice i said when, not if lol)

welcome aboard!

dntkriner and Ravynscroft like this.
  8. dntkriner

Jun 5, 2017
    Still waiting....There is a ton of peeping coming from the first pipped egg and another egg has externally pipped now. I'm going to try to post a video I took a few days before lockdown during candling. It's a pretty amazing sight, if you ask me.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    :pop

Hamiam likes this.
  10. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Sounds like its going well!! The ones that are piped their peeping will help to encourage the others to come play too! And we can't wait for pictures of the little loves!!!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by