HELP!!!!! DAY OLD CHICKS FLOPPING!

britt789

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2015
i have a day old chick that has been lethargic. ive been placing it near the water (which has electrolytes in it) trying to get it to drink and it is not interested. is scoots instead of walking and now it has started flopping and flailing itself all over the brooder box as if it cannot control itself. another chick has a floppy neck. neither of them had wry neck when they hatched but now they have flopy heads and one is flailing. the other i think is about to die.

anyone have any idea?i have two other chicks in the brooder with them. i have no idea what to do. could they be choking on the shavings?

i did not get any responses to this post but i did see a lot of people read it so if anyone was wonder all the chicks that presented these symptoms had to be culled. they ended up "seizing" or so it appeared all over the brooder and then going limp. at which point my husband had to cull them. im just wondering if this could have been a deformity from something being wrong during incubation or if they were sick? has anyone seen anything of the sort?

Did your chicks hatch on time or where they late bloomers? Shipped eggs? type of chicks? Any exposure to other chickens? Were they hatched in a incubator or under a hen?

Many questions, but maybe thru answering some people can help figure out the problem.

It sure sounds like insecticide poisoning symptoms. What is your water supply? Where do you live? I would have the water tested for sure.

The reason why a thread goes unanswered a lot of times is due to too little information being given. When you leave out key information, background so to speak, people just pass by without trying to offer any comments. There's just not enough to make an intelligent comment.

Here is the information that we need:

Where do you live? Where did you get the chicks or hatching eggs? How old are they? How long have you had them? If you incubated them yourself, what were the conditions? What are you feeding them? How are you brooding them? Heat and how hot is it, both in the brooder under the light and in the room itself? Cold, how cool is it? What is your water supply? What did you add to the water besides electrolytes? How much? What are you using for bedding in the brooder? How many chicks in the brooder? How large is the brooder? And pictures always help.

Back
Top Bottom