Help determining breed / what would you call this color?

MrsBoyd

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
Hello, I am a new chicken owner. I have a few different breeds of chicks (mostly wyandottes) and I picked up four new chicks today. I got them from our local feed store and they were labeled as Ameraucana, realizing that they are most likely EE's. However, I was looking closely at them and their legs are far more slate colored toward the body than all my other chicks, their beaks are also not very yellow and have what looks like a french manicure at the tip, they have this puffy parts around their neck/cheek area that now has me wondering. Also I am trying to figure out what color exactly they are, they look sort of blue or lavender to me, but I don't have much experience with it. (The pictures make their color look a little warmer from the red heat lamp but I think you get the idea
smile.png
) Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I would say they were Ameracauns. To early to tell what adult feathering is going to look like. I have seen so many different colors and combos of colors with them.

It's really hard to see the color with the red lamp. the "french manicure" is the egg tooth. it'll be gone in a couple days. I'm not seeing the slate legs in the pick either.

Ok, that makes more sense, none of the other chicks I got had it still lol. I will get some better pics up with white lighting tonight. Thank you :)

I tried to get some better pictures up of her. She's about a week and a half old, either way if she's an EE or not she is a sweetheart :)

Since she appears to be an Easter Egger (you'll not find Ameraucanas at most any farm store) and those don't really have specific colors unless they are solid colors and not patterned, you can't really say what color they will turn out to be. Easter Eggers have mixed genetics and they may start out looking one way and pattern up in a completely unexpected way. That's part of the fun of EEs, actually. She has a beard and muffs as most EEs do.

Cute little critter! Enjoy! I'd love to see what color she turns out to be.

Last edited:
Since she appears to be an Easter Egger (you'll not find Ameraucanas at most any farm store) and those don't really have specific colors unless they are solid colors and not patterned, you can't really say what color they will turn out to be. Easter Eggers have mixed genetics and they may start out looking one way and pattern up in a completely unexpected way. That's part of the fun of EEs, actually. She has a beard and muffs as most EEs do.

Cute little critter! Enjoy! I'd love to see what color she turns out to be.

If you're lucky, you'll end up with one looking like I got this past season. I would have though she was something I didn't order except for the green legs and pea comb. All the "Americaunas" I ever ordered were EE's with the brown/gold hawkish look. This one, has a gold head and as her feathers cascade down they turn into gold lace and fade into a white tail and butt feathers. I named her pretty. In my profile, is a pic of half of her (excuse that someone relieved her of her beard).
smile.png

I have both breeder quality Ameraucanas as well as Easter Eggers. My oldest EE hen, June, is 7 years old and she is currently laying. My black Ameraucana is going on 8 years old and my splash hen is 7. Lost my last blue hen at the end of last year, just old age. They all were laying over the past year, too. I'll be very sad when my old blue and green egg layers have passed on. They add a little color and fun to the flocks.

Awesome! Thank you everyone, I will post more pics as she gets a bit older and feathers out :)

Back
Top Bottom