HELP DIAGNOSE OUR MYSTERY ILLNESS.

Now, if given the choice of ACV over probiotcs for sour crop, the probiotics are by far better, however ACV will not make matters worse.

As for Nystatin...There are problems with Nystatin. This drug needs to be in contact with the yeast at all times for long periods of time. But because the bird needs to eat, you are greatly reducing the effects of it. If you could completely starved for 4 or 5 days, the Nystatin would do the trick, with the only thing in the crop. But the bird has to eat, so Nystatin is limited in it's use. Only the first mornings dosage is going to come in complete contact with the yeast infection. I have never had any luck with it at all.

I have had superior luck with Clotrimazole. Knocks out a yeast infection in 3 days, bird is healed in 6 or 7 days.
smile.png

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you tube it or not. If there is food in the crop, the Nystatin gets mixed into the food and makes it less effective. That is the problem with Nystatin. It has to be the only thing in the crop for several days. Yeasts can become immune from low levels of the Nystatin. If you could starve the bird, then the Nystatin would be more effective. But you can't.

Chookbook, what is the current condition of your hen?

(Wow- I've came back to a heap, thanks guys!)
After the treatments (we've wormed her, mited her and have given her some antibiotics) , she's looking better. Her face is back to her usual rosy colour although her comb is still floppy. She's very wobbly on her feet which I think may have something to do with all the weight she's lost which is worrying us more that her current illness. Her appetite for anything but corn and the occasional layer pellets isn 't doing anything to help either. Is there a way I can fatten her up without tube feeding her?

On another note, she's also walking around more and have a bit of a scratch with her friends right now. :):)

Thanks again guys! x

Coolies-
lol.png

I'll be on a mission to find them next visit to the pet suppliers.
Is there anything I could feed her in the mean time that I'll be able to find in the fridge/ pantry?
x Thanks for all your help Kathy!!
woot.gif

Coolies-
lol.png

I'll be on a mission to find them next visit to the pet suppliers.
Is there anything I could feed her in the mean time that I'll be able to find in the fridge/ pantry?
x Thanks for all your help Kathy!!
woot.gif
Chookbook, I posted some ideas for you on your thread in the feeding and watering section of byc. :)

Back
Top Bottom