Help diagnosing my Roo....

I think it is a CNS issue. There is something very strange going on there. It isn't just a leg issue...I believe that there is some brain and/or spinal cord involvement.
He doesn't really have any head and neck issue. It's all in his legs.

Thank you. I hope you get the answers that you are seeking and I, for one, would love to know what you find out. Please don't let them tell you that it is Marek's. Without a necropsy, that is just a guess that they love to throw out to cover everything. If he passes, you may want to have a necropsy done. It is the only way to know for certain what was going on. You can find out the info for that the same way. State labs are usually very reasonable.

Thanks that's a good idea, will do and I'll post what I find out.

Great job! I hope they get back to you soon
fl.gif

Bluedawg, the best thing you can do is be in touch with Cornell, and have a necropsy done when it's time.
There are so many things it could be. It looks like several nerves are affected, and if some respiratory nerves are affected, it can make them air hungry. It's sad watching him.

But there's no way to tell what's causing it. At 5 years old, he could have cancer or tumors or a brain tumor.

hugs.gif

I think it similar to Marek's , but just doesn't fit your flock history. And like Leadwolf1 said, you would have seen it before 5 years old. But Marek's isn't the only thing that affects nerves, or causes tumors.

If interested, Leadwolf1 can lead you to a wealth of information about Marek's. Good solid information-that you may have not gotten yet.-about Marek's.
I think it looks like Marek's , but just doesn't fit your flock history. And like Leadwolf1 said, you would have seen it before 5 years old. But Marek's isn't the only thing that affects nerves, or causes tumors

.Edit: I don't think it's Marek's, just some of the symptoms are the same.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been reading through this whole post on Mareks and I'm thinking.... well, it could be that. I sure hope not. If it is I hope the rest of my flock remain immune. The way I understand it is all birds are exposed at some point but not all birds get it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/mareks-disease/50
That thread was renamed "St. John's Wort". I would look into different areas to find good info on Marek's.

I dont know if this is the same problem and may sound allitle simple. but i had the same problem with one of my rossters, what i did that really seemed to help was let him float in some cold water for about twenty minutes(it was around 100 degrees when he was like this) and make sure to splash him on the head, and make sure he gets good and wet . it could be dehidration.

Back
Top Bottom