Help diagnosing my Roo....

bluedawg

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Croton on Hudson
He's very lethargic - difficult for him to walk. Problem with legs? His comb and wattles appeared dark maroon at the tips this morning but this afternoon they are back to bright red. He was very ill similarly a while back (maybe a year ago)but it all of a sudden cleared up. Now seams to be back. What could be going on with him? I've attached a video.....

Have you tried calling someone at Cornell or another state university? Try calling your local government extension agent and find out where your closest state lab is. The poultry expert there may be able to watch your video and give you some suggestions.

Oh wow, poor guy! Have you tried giving him any vitamins? PolyViSol infant drops with NO IRON might help him. He is really off balance. It looks like he's really trying but just can't get it together. My first go to thing is vitamins just in case of a vitamin deficiency. SavAChick or nutridrench also have vitamins and electrolytes in them. That's just to see if it helps perk him up some. If it's a neurological issue or even Mareks, I don't know.

Have you checked him over real good for lice or mites? They can drain the energy of a chicken as well.

That's a great, although sad video and hopefully someone can come up with a better idea than I can. I always try to start with the basics because they really can't hurt.

Yes, I put my glasses on and checked him over (under winds and all) - he looks very clean no bugs in sight. The rest of the flock has never had any issue. He's about 5 years old. I periodically put vitamins & electrolites in their water and they get only Organic feed. I will put some in the water tomorrow to help him fight it off - whatever it might be.

That's true. I had a roo die from Mareks when he was 10 months old. He didn't show classic symptoms like the paralysis and things like that. He just wasted away to nothing no matter what he ate. I thought he was too old to have Mareks, but I was wrong. I sent him for a necropsy and the results came back Mareks.

Leadwolf1 has been a tremendous help explaining Mareks to me. She's had a lot of problems with it in her flock. Hopefully she'll see this or maybe you can PM her linking her to this thread so she can check out your video. She may have an opinion on it.

That is the absolutely strangest thing I have ever seen. I can be almost certain that it isn't Marek's. A bird of that age, it just isn't seen...not, in that fashion. He appears to be having mild seizures on top of the limping. Have you brought in any other chickens? How about Equine Encephalitis? I would not worry at all about Marek's. There is something else going on with your roo.

He's eating and drinking and crowing. I will look up those things you mentioned and see if I can gleen anything. I have never had a chicken die on me and I have raised them for many years and raised several generations with him so I think if it were Mereks I would have seen some deaths too so maybe you are right and it is not that.

Back
Top Bottom