Help! Do I need to get another friend for my goose?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Yes, you should start looking for another goose as a companion. Please feel free to post pictures of your setup on the Coops and Run forum for ideas on predator proofing it. Please be advised that the raccoon is very likely to come back for the goose. You need to act today to secure the coop for tonight. :hugs
Yes, I know the raccoon may try for my goose. We added wire around the top of the pen last night. It’s a 10X10 square, with an 8 foot fence. We built a top for it to keep them safe. We have never had coons in our area before yesterday. No idea that he could squeeze through the opening at the top. Lessens learned. Even my father who helped build the top was shocked that a raccoon got in. If we hadn’t gone out to check on the birds, we would have never known what got in, but the raccoon was still in there. My husband scared him off so he could get to my duck. Unfortunately it was too late. 💔
Thank you for the welcome, and the reply! I’m not sure where to find a friend for my goose at this point, or what age the friend should be...?

Yes, I know the raccoon may try for my goose. We added wire around the top of the pen last night. It’s a 10X10 square, with an 8 foot fence. We built a top for it to keep them safe. We have never had coons in our area before yesterday. No idea that he could squeeze through the opening at the top. Lessens learned. Even my father who helped build the top was shocked that a raccoon got in. If we hadn’t gone out to check on the birds, we would have never known what got in, but the raccoon was still in there. My husband scared him off so he could get to my duck. Unfortunately it was too late. 💔
Thank you for the welcome, and the reply! I’m not sure where to find a friend for my goose at this point, or what age the friend should be...?
Maybe ask for help here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/geese.47/

good luck

Could you get him a gosling or a duckling to tend to? My gander adores babies, and has tried stealing even the tiniest call ducklings. He adopted two goslings this year, and helped my goose warm up to the babies after her own infertile eggs didn't hatch.
I have been going back and forth about whether to find him a friend. We have some traveling that we have to do this month, and I don’t know that I would be able to do introductions and whatever else might be required to add a new friend. I don’t want to make him sick, nor do I want to be irresponsible with a duckling or gosling. I would change the travel plans but it isn’t an option. I am spending more time with him. I have family that will come spend time with him daily while I am away, but they are not in a position to take care of a little guy. I don’t know that I will be able to find a duckling or gosling in July...? I have never heard of babies that late in the year, but I could be wrong. I also considered rehoming Nibbles (that’s the Gooses name ♥️), but I fear that might break his heart even more. 9C48C1E5-3442-46C7-9CC5-A239EDF9E755.jpeg CDC77C73-2E6A-46F5-8642-F1A0B838CD40.png

Back
Top Bottom