Help! Dog has lump on cheek!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cluckcluckgirl, Jan 5, 2014.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    We awoke this morning to find that our 8 year old dog has a half-dollar sized lump on her left jaw near the joint where the jaw meets the skull. I know this isn't the place for all advice on dog injuries, but does anyone know what this could be and if I can heal it from home rather than taking her to a vet?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Without a picture, given the rapid onset and location, I would guess the beginning of an abscessed tooth.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Is there anything I can do to heal her of it or does she need vet assistance?

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Could be abscessed tooth, or saliva gland. That happened to one of my dogs, he ate a tortilla chip and got a cut from it. It did require a vet visit. You could just monitor and if the swelling gets worse call and make a vet appointment.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmm, abscesses can be very painful if that is in fact what it is. It's very difficult to tell without a physical exam in person though. Is it painful for her when you touch it?

In this case, I would suggest a trip to the vet for several reasons. One is that many times and abscess is the body's final attempt at dealing with infection. The infected area is just walled off so it doesn't spread. However, it's not really a great way of doing things. Abscesses can burst, cause pain, or the infection could spread into the jaw or affect multiple teeth. If it is an abscess, draining and treating it early will prevent bigger vet bills later on.

If it is not an abscess, a fine needle aspirate should be taken at the very least to check for abnormal growths. A quick growing lump is sometimes due to bug bites or other irritants, but if all of that is ruled out, a quick growing lump is a concern and should be dealt with early on.

So for peace of mind and early treatment, I would say a trip to the vet would be the best course here. Otherwise it could be a painful few weeks for your dog and not much that can be done at home.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by