help dont know whats wrong (pics)

SoCha

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I have a Light Sussex and she seemed to have worms (because she had diarrhea) so we treated her for worms with Ivermectin 2 days ago. Today we washed her butt to take all the poop that was stuck on it off. But while washing we found this red dot under her vent, should we be worried about it? What is it? Also around her vent there are... eggs? On her feathers there are some sort of egg looking objects.. What are they?
Thank you so much.

IMG_20180716_175000.jpg
IMG_20180716_175000.jpg
IMG_20180716_175000 (1).jpg

Red dot is a wound of some kind. Keep it clean and it should heal up. It kind of looks like wounds that happen with flystrike, so keep the droppings cleaned up on her until she's all healed up. Could also be from a pecking injury. I circled what I think you were talking about as eggs on the feathers. Looks like lice eggs to me when I zoom in on your picture.
InkedIMG_20180716_175000 (1)_LI.jpg

Here is a link with some more pictures for comparison: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Treatment is usually a product containing permethrin, you will need to treat the birds and clean and treat the coop, usually at least 3 times at 7 day intervals. Treatment options are also discussed in the link above.

I would check really well inside the hole for maggots. Coach is correct that these type wounds can develop flystrike from maggot larvae infestation, which can enter the body and kill. Soaking in warm Epsom salts, betadine, or chlorhexiden can help to get rid of maggots. Flushing the wound with a turkey baster or syringe can help. Permethrin applied to the hole would also help, but only if you find maggots. Otherwise, just use Vetericyn spray or plain neosporin ointment on the wound, and keep her away from flies.

I would check really well inside the hole for maggots. Coach is correct that these type wounds can develop flystrike from maggot larvae infestation, which can enter the body and kill. Soaking in warm Epsom salts, betadine, or chlorhexiden can help to get rid of maggots. Flushing the wound with a turkey baster or syringe can help. Permethrin applied to the hole would also help, but only if you find maggots. Otherwise, just use Vetericyn spray or plain neosporin ointment on the wound, and keep her away from flies.
Thank you, so I should open up the wound?

I agree that it is consistent with Fly strike but if it is scabbed and healed over then unlikely that there are any maggots inside.... they need to breath and would almost certainly eat any scab tissue as it was forming to keep the wound open. I would therefore be reluctant to open it up if it has scabbed over and appears to be sealed, but I do not have a great deal of experience with fly strike so be guided by others.

It could be a sore from having poop stuck on her butt. Keep an eye on it.
I don't see any eggs, but maybe I'm not looking close enough? Can you wash off the eggs? I imagine it would not be good if they hatched..
No I tried washing them off but I was not able to.

Back
Top Bottom