Help! Drowning?

miabug333

Hatching
Apr 7, 2017
Our 4 day old buff brahma has had a tough 24 hours. Over heated from a heat lamp and we've been nursing him back slowly with sugar water in a syringe. Some water definitely got in through his nostrils and now he's been reaching his neck up and open and closing his beak and it kind of sounds like he choking? Maybe water in its lungs? It's only 4 days old so I don't know what much to do. He's constantly opening and closing his beak

There is not much you can do now except try to keep it hydrated, warm, and hope she can start eating. Dip it's beak into water for a second to get it to drink, then let it swallow. Keep it warm enough around 90 degrees with a thermometer.

I would add electrolytes, such as SaveAChick to the water. Hopefully she will cough up the fluid and clear her airway. I sure hope you can save her.

It comes from most feed stores. If you look up "homemade electrolytes for chickens" you may see some recipes from TheChickenChick.com. Just mix some of those, use pedialyte, gatorade, or add 1tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt to a quart of water.

Back
Top Bottom