We were setting up our cover-all shed today, and the ducks and geese were wandering about with us as always, when one of my ducks came over and grabbed a nut and ate it! He usually spits stuff out, and I grabbed him to get it out of his mouth as soon as he took it, but I was too late. Is this something I should be concerned about?! Of course it had to be my favourite duck that did it; that's just my luck.

We don't have an exotic vet within 600km of us, so that's not an option. I put him in his house, so I can monitor his poop, and I gave him a bunch of grass hoping the fibre helps it move through him faster. Is there anything else I should do or be watching for? Maybe I'm overreacting.
There is chelation therapy for ducks who swallow metal. I would not take this as a joke as I have had this duck issue.
Please consult a vet

I have a [beep]ing glass marble in my duck's run!
I assume that [beeeep] thing has already passed through many of my 24 ducks by now. When it is pooped back out there's always another duck gobbling it down before i can find and confiscate it.
Whenever i see them fighting over the marble i run towards them only to see one duck frantically gulping it down before i can take it away as if it is a tasty bug.
My hope is that one day it will be pooped out into one of the water bowls where i will see it when i change the water.
My ducks swallow all kinds of stuff, from pebbles to pieces of wood to that glass marble and so far everything came back out. Somehow they know not to swallow stuff with sharp edges or pointy things.
They also shredded the foam insulation from our AC-cooling lines but ate nothing of it, just had fun destroying the foam.

:lau:lau:lau
No coal for you at Christmas...only marbles!! My goose is the biggest offender of stealing non edibles...and literally runs from me with it in her mouth!!!:barnie

There is chelation therapy for ducks who swallow metal. I would not take this as a joke as I have had this duck issue.
Please consult a vet
Chelation is for heavy/toxic metals, NOT a simple metal nut. Cost aside, it is an intensive and potentially harmful process even in humans: please don't even think about putting your duck through this kind of invasive "treatment."

Please consult a vet
I was treated for heavy metal poisoning (mercury and led) years ago! No fun at all! That stuff burns like molten lava when it drips into your vein and your pee smells like Gilroy, CA during garlic harvesting time. You don't want your duck to go through this just for a nut! She will go nuts about it! And you will be nuts when you get the bill.

:lau:lau:lau
No coal for you at Christmas...only marbles!! My goose is the biggest offender of stealing non edibles...and literally runs from me with it in her mouth!!!:barnie
Tell me about it! They know they should not have and swallow that marble! So they run from me with that thing in their bill… Makes me loose my marbles! :gig

We were setting up our cover-all shed today, and the ducks and geese were wandering about with us as always, when one of my ducks came over and grabbed a nut and ate it! He usually spits stuff out, and I grabbed him to get it out of his mouth as soon as he took it, but I was too late. Is this something I should be concerned about?! Of course it had to be my favourite duck that did it; that's just my luck.

We don't have an exotic vet within 600km of us, so that's not an option. I put him in his house, so I can monitor his poop, and I gave him a bunch of grass hoping the fibre helps it move through him faster. Is there anything else I should do or be watching for? Maybe I'm overreacting.
My duck Lily ate a poultry staple over a year ago while converting our gazebo into the ducks new pen. She snuck up and grabbed it out of the bucket before I could stop her. Luckily she's still with us. I can't imagine she ever did pass it. It had sharp edges. Thankfully Lily is still with us and somehow we have managed to keep both mischievous little ducks alive..lol

Chelation is for heavy/toxic metals, NOT a simple metal nut. Cost aside, it is an intensive and potentially harmful process even in humans: please don't even think about putting your duck through this kind of invasive "treatment."

hardware poisoning is real and is a poisoning, its serious

Chelation isnt even a proven treatment and your right, it isnt needed here. But they should consider hardware poisoning treatments if the metal wont come out soon enough

ide keep the duck aside and use a magnet and feel around to find where the nut is. it might be sitting in the crop

@jeepgirl13 I gave the barn a twice over, face a foot from the ground with a flashlight and squishing around every pile of poop in there, but haven't found it yet. He's still eating and drinking and being his normal ridiculous self though, so that's a small win. My pretentious goose, however, was quite displeased to see me poking around in there so early.
I gave the duck a stern talking to about snacking on things he shouldn't, but I don't think he's taking me very seriously. Kids.

Today's agenda, find a magnet to sweep the barn, and possibly the duck ... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom