So sorry for your loss, was more likely the internal egg laying that did her in. Why it's so important to know your flock, you will see if something is off if you are paying attention especially at fee time or if they are cooped when they are let out
Good point. I usually first notice something is wrong when a bird spends a little less time with the flock when let out, eats less, or moves slower.

:yuckyuck:thumbsup Your DH is using quality tools which did not corrode. Dull Metal objects should not be dangerous, unless they contain poisonous metals like Zinc, Cadmium, or Copper. Especially Zinc is dangerous - even for humans - when swallowed, because it will be dissolved by the stomach acid. A little Zinc is OK and helps against Rhino viruses, but too much is really bad. -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/:thZinc#Precautions
One thing to keep in mind is the amount of zinc ingested. From the link, I am not sure if one coin
:yuckyuck:thumbsup Your DH is using quality tools which did not corrode. Dull Metal objects should not be dangerous, unless they contain poisonous metals like Zinc, Cadmium, or Copper. Especially Zinc is dangerous - even for humans - when swallowed, because it will be dissolved by the stomach acid. A little Zinc is OK and helps against Rhino viruses, but too much is really bad. -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc#Precautions
How many pennies it would take to be fatal or have long term negative effects wasn't clear to me from the link. They reference a case of chronic ingestion of hundreds of pennies causing death. No surprise there...I would certainly expect ingesting that many pennies to cause some sort of major issue.

Yes, that with the pennies is a bad example in Wikipedia, for two reasons: First a penny also contains Copper, which in higher doses is toxic too and second the Zinc in a Penny is a Zinc core, which means that the stomach acid has to eat await the the surrounding metal (Copper?) before the Zinc can be attacked. The article in the German Wikipedia is more precise, it states that the WHO recommends an intake of 12/15 mg of Zinc for Women/Men, the tolerable amount is between 24 and 40 mg and that more than 100mg per day can cause symptoms. Ingesting more than 2g (2000mg) causes symptoms of poisoning. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zink#Biologische_Bedeutung (German)

There is chelation therapy for ducks who swallow metal. I would not take this as a joke as I have had this duck issue.
Please consult a vet
So this is a little delayed but I think my goose ate a nut a little over a week ago, how soon after should I be concerned about her dying from metal poisoning as of now she is acting normal. We never observe her eating because she is always on guard around us? Sorry for the tag and the reply just wanted to get some attention on my post.

So this is a little delayed but I think my goose ate a nut a little over a week ago, how soon after should I be concerned about her dying from metal poisoning as of now she is acting normal. We never observe her eating because she is always on guard around us? Sorry for the tag and the reply just wanted to get some attention on my post.
Don't be too worried! Almost all of the metal-nuts our birds swallow will leave them unchanged. If it was a heavily corroded nut i would be a bit concerned about metal poisoning. Metal nuts usually are not sharp, pointy or cut, so they will be pooped out within 2-3 days if not faster.
As @DucksOhio said: Observer her behaviour, if she acts normal nothing bad has happened. And yes with chelation therapy the cure is often more dangerous than the issue…
A week ago? That nut is very likely already inside another goose or duck. ;)

Depending on the bird's current state, you may consider administering a bulk cathartic such as Metamucil to aid in the removal of the nut. Get some of the powder, mix it in with some water or Gatorade to a milky kind of consistency, and drip a few drops along her bill. Or gavage.

Weighing every morning to monitor possible weight loss would also be advised.

Back
Top Bottom