Help! Duck cannot walk!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BecBettencourt, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BecBettencourt

BecBettencourt In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    Meridian, Idaho
    My duck, Jack, has been struggling to walk for the past year and a half. His left leg has shifted to the center of his body and is his main support. His right leg he refuses to use, he holds it up or won’t stand up. His right leg joint is much larger than the other, but he doesn’t seem bothered when I touch it or play with it. He has been able to walk to his food and water dish, and back to bed. But recently he can’t even do that. I don’t have a vet I could take him to, or one that could come see him. He isn’t in pain, and still enjoys himself; but winter is approaching and it will be even more difficult. I usually do physical therapy with him and make him swim, but now it’s too cold. I don’t know what to do, does anyone know what could be wrong??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What has your duck been eating? How old is it? Sometimes leg deformities are from a deficiency. Can you share some pictures?

Miss Lydia and NoFlyBackFarm like this.
  3. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Crowing

Aug 6, 2018
    Pilesgrove, New Jersey
    Take him in your house and fill your bathtub to to the top. Then you should force him to swim it at least 3 rounds once a day to strengthen his leg. Pics would be helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: