1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Duck has injured eye!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by saltandpepper2, Sep 25, 2015.

1. silenthawk2x3

silenthawk2x3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Olean
    I got bit by a cat (different animal I know) this summer and had an infection in less than twelve hours. It does not take long for bacteria to set up shop in even the healthiest tissue. I very easily could have lost a large portion of my hand had I waited another 24 hours. Infections from bites are nothing to laugh at or underestimate.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

3. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Something I found on Baytril for dogs: so it should work? [​IMG]
    Here are new pics of poor Abigail. She has 3 very small puncture wounds on her neck, a huge blood blister, and a very swollen third eyelid. She also has a crack on her bill. I washed out all wounds with saline solution, then put neosporin on them, and put that eye ointment on her eye. One leg seems to be nothing her, but isn't sprained/broken so I put some niacin tablets in the water to help strengthen them. If absolutely necessary, I'll go buy I different antibiotic, but would rather use what I have... To save money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    I think something like Clavamox or amoxicillin is more common for this sort of thing, but you would have to order those.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    However, I do remember reading somewhere that Baytril is what they give to wild animals with cat bites, so maybe it will work? Try looking at some wildlife rescue sites and see what they say.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

7. saltandpepper2

Dang it. Ok. Well, I'll go to tsc tomorrow and see what I can find. The wounds actually look really clean and shallow, she's more bruised and sore than torn up. (Thank God) can you advise a antibiotic found in feed stores that I can get on a budget?
    Can't thank you guys enough!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What about Penicillin @casportpony it shows it is good for blood born infections.

About the only thing you can find in feed stores is Pen and Oxytetracycline

but Walmart carries fish antibiotics and some of them can be given to our birds.

Did you ever figure out whose dog this was? I'd be worried it may come back. seems they do when they have had this much fun. it's amazing she did get killed.

In the pic her eye doesn't look too bad.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Penicillin might be an option, but the one sold in feed stores is procaine penicillin, and there are warmings about procaine toxicity and smaller birds, but those warnings don't say how small small is. Has anyone reading this thread ever used it?

-Kathy

10. saltandpepper2

Update for miss Abigail. This morning she was fairly active and quacking and drinking normally. I'm worried that she's not eating enough though, she'll take a bite of food, then drop most of it and stretch her neck, I think her neck is sore that it hurts to swallow. The blood bruise on her back is almost gone, and all the bite wounds look clean and pinks her eye doesn't look worse or better. I think there might be a burst blood vessel there? She can still use the eye though. She was actually trying to groom herself, and even layed an egg! Is there anything I can do to help her eat? I made the food a mash to kind of help, but she's only eating tiny amounts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by