Help! Duck health emergency question

So at this point would you all say it seems more like bumblefoot (and possible infection from that) rather than lice?
Got the cleaning and bandaging stuff to do the foot soon but didn’t buy the lice cream they had yet as wasn’t sure it was ok for ducks

For limp yes? Mites are easy to find I picked one of my chickens up on day and I felt something crawling on my head. Went in the bathroom leaned over the sink and put the comb through my hair these tiny tiny black things fell into the sink and started crawling . They didn’t bite me and a good shower and head washing took care of them . Then I zeroed in the chickens dusted them cleaned out their coop treated it put new bedding in. My chickens had mites my ducks didn’t probably because water and mites don’t mix so bathing water is one way to keep external parasites off our water fowl. Not always easy in winter I know. I give mine cement mixing tubs to bath in during coldest times that way I can dump it out at the end of the day and use again when temps get above 35-40

Last edited:
Check your garden store and see if the dust is safe for poultry.
Sorry what dust? Having trouble following all the comments on the thread.
It’s a tiny garden store in the next small town over, tofino, I can call and ask if she has things, you meant a lice dust or something like that?

We are in Canada in a very small town that doesn’t have farming stores, only a grocery store and one small garden shop in the next town. there are stores an hour or two away that might have it but even then not sure, I can call around
That does complicate matters because permethrin dust and permethrin spray are not available in Canada. Canadians used to be able to buy a poultry dust that contains Carbaryl, but sometime in the last year or two this was banned.

So guessing that a problem with their pen and most of our property is that it’s mostly crushed gravel and bark mulch. I hadn’t even considered their feet being injured by this, so I’ll have to figure out something for inside their pen at least to solve that issue and keep their foraging to the softer areas of the property

How in the world do poultry folks care for their birds because parasites are everywhere ? Yes sharp gravel cement and even rough bark can cause bumble foot.

Sorry what dust? Having trouble following all the comments on the thread.
It’s a tiny garden store in the next small town over, tofino, I can call and ask if she has things, you meant a lice dust or something like that?
Sorry if we are confusing you. :hugs

For now, I would say don't worry about finding a lice/mite treatment unless you can see bugs. To look for bugs, put on a pair of reading glasses and inspect her skin and feathers for bugs.

Lice live on the bird and can be found on the feathers and skin.

Figure 1. Chicken lice (not to scale) collected in survey of backyard poultry in California. (A) Chicken body louse, Menacanthus stramineus; (B) Menacanthus cornutus; (C) Shaft louse, Menopon gallinae; (D) Fluff louse, Goniocotes gallinae; (E) Wing louse, Lipeurus caponis; and (F) Chicken head louse, Cuclotogaster heterographus. Image by A. Murillo, UC Riverside
http://veterinaryentomology.ucr.edu/chickenlice.html

Back
Top Bottom