Help. Duckling with curled under foot.

Any update on this duckling? I just had a shipped runner duck egg hatch out with underbite and a clubbed or bent foot. He is hobbling on the joint like a peg leg, it will bend when i move it by hand, but wont stay. I will work on a split. But just curious your out come.

Thanks,
Abbey

Hi Abbey,
Unfortunately my story doesn't have a happy ending, but I hope yours will! My ducklings foot never uncurled despite multiple splints that I made and massaging. He got fairly big and was so sweet and happy but because he couldn't move around much he was getting very overweight and it was so sad. We had to put him down eventually :(

Thats what I figured. Just figured I would ask. I splinted it last night, and today he was using it more normally with the splint. I took it off while we went out to eat, to minimize rub areas. But now he is sliding backwards. I am going to splint it again overnight and tomorrow. Hoping we can get it to bend. But it looks like he doesnt have much control of the foot part. So not sure if we get the joint to bend, if he will be able to control the foot/toes.

I'll look tomorrow on my computer (I'm on my phone right now). I am sure I have a picture of the foot but not of the splint

Sorry, for some reason, I didn't see the picture request post until now.

And a youtube video

Do you happen to know the root cause(s) of this problem? I have a little one exhibiting the same symptom and I would like to figure out how to avoid it in the future. Thanks and best of luck with your critters.

Thats what I figured. Just figured I would ask. I splinted it last night, and today he was using it more normally with the splint. I took it off while we went out to eat, to minimize rub areas. But now he is sliding backwards. I am going to splint it again overnight and tomorrow. Hoping we can get it to bend. But it looks like he doesnt have much control of the foot part. So not sure if we get the joint to bend, if he will be able to control the foot/toes.
Hi there our little duckie has the same issue! Hes a week old now and we cannot figure out how to splint it properly so the foot opens up and splint the leg. How did you do it and how did it turn out in the long run?

Are you using any form of niacin? It's very important for our water fowl to get proper amount of niacin if we feed chick crumb, It can cause leg weakness and even neurological issues 150mgs of niacin a day till at least 10 weeks old. Plain niacin capsules or tablets mixed into 1 gal of water daily [not time released or flush free] or Nutritional yeast [not baking yeast] 1 Tab per cup of feed or Brewers yeast 1 Tab per cup of feed.
Now go here and scroll down it will show you how to make a chick shoe to hold the lil foot flat and web out. then you can splint the leg if needed.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Can you give more detail and post a pic?

Back
Top Bottom