Help egg hatching question

feather and mountain man

Corn fed Indiana farmgirl
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Can I put fertilized eggs under my hens and let them hatch them? I have 11 hens 3 RIR, 2black austalorps, 3light brahma, and 3barred rocks. No rooster. I want to get my mother some Easter Egg chickens for mothersday. I want chicks to raise up a few months before giving to mom. I don't have an incubator and all the hatcheries have min orders. I just want to get her 10 hens and a roo. Help please!

Quote:
X2 You can't just put eggs under a hen and hope she will sit on them. If you search for broody behaviors you will find out what to look for. Also, I am assuming that you will be getting your fertilized eggs from someone with a rooster?
wink.png
I know that is a silly question, but sometimes you just gotta ask. AND:
welcome-byc.gif

Is there anything I can do to help make them broody. Usually I have one or two broody every week. Sometimes not for a week or two. How long can I wait to incubate the fertilized eggs.

Quote:
X2 You can't just put eggs under a hen and hope she will sit on them. If you search for broody behaviors you will find out what to look for. Also, I am assuming that you will be getting your fertilized eggs from someone with a rooster?
wink.png
I know that is a silly question, but sometimes you just gotta ask. AND:
welcome-byc.gif

That would be the only way! Silly Goose.
lol.png

Quote:
Are you sure they are broody? Have you had to break the broody behavior before? I would really suggest doing a search so that you get good suggestions on broody behavior and making sure that the hen is going to sit on the eggs especially if you don't have a back up of an incubator. I haven't had a broody yet but from what I have read you need to wait a few days and make sure the hen is going to stay broody? I hope you get more information
smile.png

Quote:
Well like I said, sometimes you just gotta ask!
tongue.png
Surprising what some people think!
wink.png

Quote:
Are you sure they are broody? Have you had to break the broody behavior before? I would really suggest doing a search so that you get good suggestions on broody behavior and making sure that the hen is going to sit on the eggs especially if you don't have a back up of an incubator. I haven't had a broody yet but from what I have read you need to wait a few days and make sure the hen is going to stay broody? I hope you get more information
smile.png

Yes I have had chickens for years. I keep my chickens happy. Right now out of 11 hens I am getting 7 to 10 eggs a day. All my chickens have hatched eggs before our rooster got killed by a dog. My RIR's and Light Brahma's are my best setters and are most often the ones who are broody.

Keep in mind that you have a 50/50 chance of hatching a male or a female chick, so I seriously doubt you will get 10 hens and 1 rooster out of the eggs you incubate. You will want to incubate around 2 dozen eggs to make sure you get at least 11 or so to develop... maybe even more eggs if you can get them. A typical full sized hen can cover 8-10 eggs, so you will need about 3 or 4 broodies.

The longest we keep eggs for incubation is a week. They are fertile after a week, but the chances of them developing decrease every day they are sitting there.

By the time you find somebody with EE eggs, buy them, wait for your hens to go broody, wait for them to hatch, it may just be as cost effective to just order some.

I know Ideal Poultry in Texas has a $25 minimum order. For the 10 hens and 1 roo, the total comes to $27.63. That way you will have exactly what you want to give her without the hassle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom