HELP! (Emergency) Chick dying

jessicagoddard

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
One of my baby chicks has been acting weird for about an hour, frantically shaking her head, chirping, and very tired. I think it’s a respiratory illness. She almost died on me, she was very limp and kept opening and closing her mouth and would not move. I held her upside down and gave her a bit of CPR, which brought her back around. Once she came around a bit, this gooey stuff came out of her mouth. I massaged her crop for a bit too. I have another thread about this from earlier: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-is-acting-strange.1417977/#post-23292322

Attachments

Weeg

Crowing
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
@Eggcessive @Overo Mare @Wyorp Rock @MGG Any ideas? I don't have a solution of you on wha could eb going on, but for now, try and give her some sugar water, and see if she will eat some molasses off your finger. Get electrolytes in her water to if you have them. I am sorry about your baby, what are you feeding, plus treats and supplements. Was is your set up, what breed, and age? I hope she get better soon, Avery

Weeg

Crowing
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
Do you have a video of her? Can you upload one? Do upload a video, you have to post it on youtube or Vimeo, and then share the link here, with the media button. Good luck, Avery

Reactions: MGG

jessicagoddard

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Do you have a video of her? Can you upload one? Do upload a video, you have to post it on youtube or Vimeo, and then share the link here, with the media button. Good luck, Avery
I do have a video, :

I am feeding her Purina medicated chick feed, with nothing added into it. She gets fresh water every day. I keep her and one other chick in a cage with paper towels as the bedding, and I have a few sticks, a house, and a dust bath. She is an Ameraucana and almost 2 weeks old. I will try the sugar water. Thank you!

jessicagoddard

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
I do have a video, :

I am feeding her Purina medicated chick feed, with nothing added into it. She gets fresh water every day. I keep her and one other chick in a cage with paper towels as the bedding, and I have a few sticks, a house, and a dust bath. She is an Ameraucana and almost 2 weeks old. I will try the sugar water. Thank you!
I will add that this video was taken a while before she got worse. She won't get up now and she is breathing slow.

Weeg

Crowing
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
Ohh I'm sorry. Could there be something stuck in her nostrils, or her mouth? Look down her beak, ad look for bumps or any abstraction. It look slick she si trying to skate something out, to me, but I am no professional. I am sorry this is happening. Avery

jessicagoddard

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Ohh I'm sorry. Could there be something stuck in her nostrils, or her mouth? Look down her beak, ad look for bumps or any abstraction. It look slick she si trying to skate something out, to me, but I am no professional. I am sorry this is happening. Avery
I tried doing so, but I wasn't able to see anything. I'll give it another look!

Top Bottom