HELP! (Emergency) Chick dying

Pics

jessicagoddard

Chirping
May 14, 2020
One of my baby chicks has been acting weird for about an hour, frantically shaking her head, chirping, and very tired. I think it’s a respiratory illness. She almost died on me, she was very limp and kept opening and closing her mouth and would not move. I held her upside down and gave her a bit of CPR, which brought her back around. Once she came around a bit, this gooey stuff came out of her mouth. I massaged her crop for a bit too. I have another thread about this from earlier: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-is-acting-strange.1417977/#post-23292322

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 24
So sorry about your chicks. The first one might have aspirated crop contents when it was upside down, having the crop massaged, or having CPR. It is hard to know exactly what is wrong. I would try to get it to take some water with electrolytes on it’s own by dipping the beak into water for half a second, then letting it swallow, then repeat. Do not massage the crop. I would try to get some Poultry NutriDrench or vitamins with electrolytes to give if it makes it through the night.

Do you have a video of her? Can you upload one? Do upload a video, you have to post it on youtube or Vimeo, and then share the link here, with the media button. Good luck, Avery
I do have a video, :

I am feeding her Purina medicated chick feed, with nothing added into it. She gets fresh water every day. I keep her and one other chick in a cage with paper towels as the bedding, and I have a few sticks, a house, and a dust bath. She is an Ameraucana and almost 2 weeks old. I will try the sugar water. Thank you!

Ohh I'm sorry. Could there be something stuck in her nostrils, or her mouth? Look down her beak, ad look for bumps or any abstraction. It look slick she si trying to skate something out, to me, but I am no professional. I am sorry this is happening. Avery
I tried doing so, but I wasn't able to see anything. I'll give it another look!

They aren't using the bathroom anymore, and when they do it's a very small amount. I'm worried they're going to starve or get dehydrated. Should I try and soak their feed and feed them with a syringe? Or would this cause more harm?
I would do either Nutridrench or a bit of molasses along the sides of their bills. Don't force feed, but you can give some liquids. The 2 above I mentioned are usually the best for a boost.

Not sure if this will help you but when I had an ill baby chick that wouldn't move, eat or poop (and did not have any sign of pasty butt) I wrapped her in a hand towel and used part of a qtip to feed her water saturated with savachick electrolytes (really, really concentrated) and sugar. I fed her a little bit every 30 minutes or so. In between feedings I warmed her up by blowing a hair dryer on the towel in which she was wrapped. At first she was too weak to complain or squirm. Over a few hours she felt a little stronger/more squirmy and I decided to get some much-needed sleep. When I went to free brooder 5+ hours later I had a little box with me.... Just in case :(..... Thankfully, she made it. I think the liquid gave her just enough sustenance/comfort/whatever to fight off her affliction. I hope your little feathered one is able to recover. Whatever happens, please know that you are doing everything you can including reaching out to this community for help. I wish you the best.

One of my baby chicks has been acting weird for about an hour, frantically shaking her head, chirping, and very tired. I think it’s a respiratory illness. She almost died on me, she was very limp and kept opening and closing her mouth and would not move. I held her upside down and gave her a bit of CPR, which brought her back around. Once she came around a bit, this gooey stuff came out of her mouth. I massaged her crop for a bit too. I have another thread about this from earlier: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-is-acting-strange.1417977/#post-23292322
Don't hold birds upside down and blow in their mouth.

@Eggcessive @Overo Mare @Wyorp Rock @MGG Any ideas? I don't have a solution of you on wha could eb going on, but for now, try and give her some sugar water, and see if she will eat some molasses off your finger. Get electrolytes in her water to if you have them. I am sorry about your baby, what are you feeding, plus treats and supplements. Was is your set up, what breed, and age? I hope she get better soon, Avery

Back
Top Bottom