Help! Exposed crop due to injury

hey! thanks for your help. i didn’t know surgical glue was a thing, but i did try liquid bandage. is there a difference? if there is i might try that next. i might have to learn how to stitch up a chicken tonight .~.

There is a large difference. Surgical glue is a lot stronger than liquid bandage - what doctors and vets use to close wounds sometimes. Stitching her up will probably give you the best results and will be quite simple to do with a bit of instruction. The main concern is to make sure that the area/tools are sterilized and the sutures are easy enough to remove in 10-14 days if all heals well. They're really easy to tie once you know what to do though :) Good luck, I hope she makes it!

Stitching the crop itself then leaving skin open to remove sutures from crop after how many days?

There are a few ways you can go about this. Vets of course would suture up the crop with dissolvable thread and then the skin with sutures they would have to remove. I would suggest suturing both layers as one (chickens are hardy and it should heal). That way you aren't leaving any foreign materials in the chicken when you take the sutures out - only little pin holes that will heal quickly. Anywhere from 10-14 days is common for the sutures to be left in. You can gauge this based on healing.

just got home from school, she’s drinking and eating great! she knock d over her scrambled eggs and there is no leakage of water when she drinks. things are looking up.
Great!
When you get a chance, take some more photos. It would be good to get photos every couple of days too just to document and see how she's healing - this will help others in the future they may end up in a similar situation.

Great!
When you get a chance, take some more photos. It would be good to get photos every couple of days too just to document and see how she's healing - this will help others in the future they may end up in a similar situation.
i’ll get some photos right away! thank you and everyone on this thread so much for all your help

Back
Top Bottom