Help! F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G weather comong some chicks have swollen eyes and

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Help! F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G weather coming some chicks have swollen eyes and they are shut. They are in a covered coop, with heat lamps and a plastic tarp covering open areas. They have fresh air.. Some have just died! Most are 3 months old but all are feathered.

I cant put in the barn I have smaller chicks. What can I do... BBBRERRRRRRRRRR ??? temps of 18-23 degrees are expected in Texas.

Please advise Help Emergency!!!!!

Can you bring them inside? What do you mean when you wrote "I can't put in barn I have smaller chicks"?

These drastic temperatures need drastic solutions.

I have a chick that I am fighting eye infectios as well. With mine I am trying to keep them clear of any build up whick is a daily task. If it goes untreated for a couple days I have a large white mass that forms under her eyelid. We are currently using just warm water to keep it wiped out. Here is link to my post that has pics of the mass we got of her eye.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280855

As for the temp you may need to bring them somewhere a little warmer till they get over eye problem.

1`low temps!!the past few nights it got down to -25 . my birds are in an unused dairy barn, it is dry,cold andhas windows on the south side. in the day time the birds move with the sun. they move around a lot and are very active. they do not produce enough heat to keep it over 32 . they do very vell in the cold. they get corn free choice for energy. they even lay eggs in the cold but not as many. birds and animals can take the cold if they have a dry, wind free shelter with frost free water at all times. they adjust.
minnesota birds

Quote:
what are the day time temps?/ did they get enough fresh air during the fall?? if they have room to run and scrach they don't get bad eyes.
minnesota birds

The chickens are in a 3 sided coop and have a 1600 foot covered run attached. They have heat lamps (5) with a plastic are seperate that they huddle under for warmth. I do not understand "puffy swollen eyes" no drainage. (maybe a drop in spme pullets) most pullets are 8 weeks old and fully feathered.

I am OK with the warmth as I know people up north have hens in minus 0 temps... we are facing the 20's and upper teens.

Please tell me what is the puffy eyes?

I willl be adding dry hay to the coop as well for extra warmth.

Please advise thanks
Quote:
what are the day time temps?/ did they get enough fresh air during the fall?? if they have room to run and scrach they don't get bad eyes.
minnesota birds

How old are the 'chicks'? I don't want to sound mean but i think your coop could be improved. You need 4 walls and a roof, not 3 sides and a tarp. If you had hens they might be alright but not chicks.

There is a lot of good information on coop design on this site and what is required of a good coop.

PLEASE be extra careful of the heat lamps and the hay. Make sure you are using a heavy duty outside extension cord so you don't accidentley start a fire.

Yeah, I'd get them in a covered area ASAP! They're probably dying because it's too cold besides the eye infections. I have 3 months old as well as babies and they are just sectioned off in pens and cages with heat lamps. My 3 month olds still get heat at this point because the temps have dropped below freezing at night. You need to get them in right away--even if you just have to section them off in the barn with some temporary chicken wire, I'd do that! You can treat their eyes with Terramycin ointment(TSC and other feed stores carry this) and I would give them Liquamycin(1/2 cc) shot--you can give it in the nape of the neck or next to the breast bone in the chest. PM me if you need more help!
smile.png
Good luck!

keep in mind "up north" sometimes means Canada and CELSIUS not Farenheit. people forget to specify.

mine didnt go outside until 3 or so months old and it was still warm outside. maybe some experienced people can chime in on young pullets and temp needs. Like Mom@2, i am worried they are too young for these temps. also the number of chickens you have in the coop makes a big difference. are they on dry dirt or litter? and do they have a roost so they can tuck their feet under their feathers?

0 Celsius = 32 Farenheit

i have 5 standard size 7 month olds in a 4' x 5' well insulated coop and i am worried about our 19 Farenheit temps tonight. i will probably for sure turn a protected lamp on when we get to single digits (9 Farenheit on Saturday am.)

any antibiotic ointment (teramycin, bacitracin, triple antibiotic) without painkiller in it is supposedly ok to put in their eyes for infection/irritations. can also get it from the drug store.

i have also been putting vaseline on their combs everyday, to try to avoid frostbite.

good luck. update us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom