HELP! Facial swelling

Thank you so so much for your help! It is extremely likely that it could have found a bee, as we have an abundance of honey bees/bumble bees/ wasps due to all our wildflowers. She is breathing and acting complete normal.

Thank you so so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I checked her this morning and the swelling has appeared to gone done a little. There was no scabs, mucous, bubbles, injury’s or scabs, she wasn’t coughing and she was acting completely normal. Just a little swollen. I attached some pictures to the post above.
Poor girl she is swollen.
Any swelling inside her beak? Is she able to eat/drink o.k.?

It's good that the swelling is going down.
Not sure what's happened with her. If it's an allergic reaction to a sting or bite, you can try giving her a 1 time dose of Benadryl to see if that makes a difference. 1/4 tablet of a 25mg Benadryl tablet.

OR

if she's seemingly o.k., eating/drinking/active and the swelling IS going down, you may want to just see how she does over the course of the next few days. This may resolve on it's own just fine.

Poor girl she is swollen.
Any swelling inside her beak? Is she able to eat/drink o.k.?

It's good that the swelling is going down.
Not sure what's happened with her. If it's an allergic reaction to a sting or bite, you can try giving her a 1 time dose of Benadryl to see if that makes a difference. 1/4 tablet of a 25mg Benadryl tablet.

OR

if she's seemingly o.k., eating/drinking/active and the swelling IS going down, you may want to just see how she does over the course of the next few days. This may resolve on it's own just fine.
I know, poor thing. Thank you a lot for your response and help! I haven’t checked in her beak, but I will later today when I have a chance. She is eating and drinking just fine, and doing all normal Chicken behavior. I think I will just let her be as long as the swelling continues to go down. Is this a good plan?

I know, poor thing. Thank you a lot for your response and help! I haven’t checked in her beak, but I will later today when I have a chance. She is eating and drinking just fine, and doing all normal Chicken behavior. I think I will just let her be as long as the swelling continues to go down. Is this a good plan?
I'd monitor her close throughout the day and see if the swelling goes down a lot.

If I was concerned about a bug bite, which this does seem like it could be, I would give a dose of the Ledum homeopathic remedy. Works amazing and 100% homeopathic medicine. So no immune suppressing drugs.
I can tell you how to dose her if your interested.

If I was concerned about a bug bite, which this does seem like it could be, I would give a dose of the Ledum homeopathic remedy. Works amazing and 100% homeopathic medicine. So no immune suppressing drugs.
I can tell you how to dose her if your interested.
What's the dose for chickens?

What's the dose for chickens?
Homeopathic remedies do not have strict doses. There for you can’t overdose them. For my dogs, I dissolve the dosage for people in a sterile jar of water. Then give a tablespoon of the dissolved remedy on the inside of the gums. Depending on what I’m using it for, pain relief, tendinitis, etc, I dose appropriately until I see improvement. For chickens, I would simply give a smaller dose as often as needed. You can’t overdose homeopathic remedies, so no exact dose is necessary.

If in fact this is a bee sting, Benadryl is best. Benadryl will not necessarily reduce swelling nor acts as an antidote for bee stings.
However, it keeps the trachea open so that the chicken is able to breathe and not suffocate due to swelling and the closing off of the trachea until the venom is discharged from the body.
You can also use Children's Benadryl. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally once in a 24 hour period. Do not overdose.
Homeopathic remedies will NOT do anything in this instance.

childrens-allergy-liquid.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom