HELP! Female goats are bucking my chickens & ducks

amdolphinlvr

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 14, 2017
I have 2 female goats that I've had for about a year.....I also have "free range" chickens & ducks...the goats are heading butting the he** out of my chickens & ducks....how can I stop this?
I have hollered at them, stomped, threw things, etc.
HELP!!!!

Pen them separately? The goats should certainly be penned, especially if they are going after your children. If the goats are penned, the chickens *might* go in there... but if the goats butt them, that would discourage them. If your pen is sound the ducks should not be able to get in quite as easily as a chicken would.

When I raise my goats, I never pet them on the head. I don't allow visitors to pet them on the head. I was told that petting or touching a goat on the horn area makes them think about butting, so you should not touch them there, and it seems to work. I have not had a goat that will butt people, ever. If a goat ever so much as touches me with their head, I reach down and pinch them on the ear, or at least I would if it ever happened on my place... it does not. With children that is going to be tough, especially young children, it's not fair to expect them to be consistent in training. I don't think you can train the goats not to butt; that's why I think a pen would work better.

Goats butt things, it's what they do. Separate pens or an make an area the chickens and ducks can escape to, that the goats can't follow. You will not be able to stop goats from being goats.

I have goats and free range chickens, too, but I’ve never had this problem. Won’t the chickens and ducks soon learn to stay out of the goat pen? :wee

You are not going to train the goats not to butt the chickens. You are wasting your time trying to do so. That said, I never had that problem. I had free range chickens that would peck around the goat barns and corrals. The goats never tried to butt them, but occasionally a goat would grab a mouthful of feathers from an unwary hen.

Back
Top Bottom