Help find what is wrong with pea suddenly watery white stool & not energetic.

Your best bet would be to have routine fecals done and to deworm at least twice a year, but that's no guarantee. I watch mine like a hawk and if one starts to look iffy I examine examine it's poop. If the poop is even slightly yellow I worm with Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and start metronidazole at ~60mg/kg once a day for five days. Depending on what the poop looks like, I might also start Baytril.

As for preventing it, you could try the Histostat-50, but I think that's meant to be fed daily and it is toxic to ducks, geese and dogs. Some people say you can use acidified copper sulfate as a preventative, but I don't know anything about it.

-Kathy
I have decided to put a link here about E Coli and some other bacterial diseases
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html

Chill... The dose advice I have given is way more correct than *some* of the stuff I've seen on websites and on BYC. It's up to people reading to take what I have posted and figure out what *they* think is correct by working with a vet and/or doing their own research. With this information I'm able to safely dose *very* small birds.

Put all the info from the books together and the what you see *is* a range. Take that, advice from a vet, other literature, what other people have been prescribed for the *same* illness and figure it out.

I just am tired of people saying that a large male gets the same amount medication as a small female, it just isn't true. A small female weighs ~3kg and a large male weighs ~6kg, right? If they're sick, they might weigh half that.

-Kathy
Then why give her 2ml of safeguard? and him 3ml? Why give her 1 pill of metro and give him the same? Because you give them the little boost to help get rid of the problem. The answer is stop going to the websites if your here looking for the answer. Instead of looking on the websites try looking up bird vets and call them and let them know you live out of state and have none in you area and if they can help you. A good Vet will try to help you the best they can.

I know Tylan is not for blackhead :) it was a separate question I meant how often would you treat as a preventative as in semi annually, quarterly or what?
Peatree is looking better more active, I will know better once I let him back out on Friday and see if he makes his normal rounds.
how is your pea doing?

Last hopefully helpful comment.....always remember KISS (keep it simple, stupid) . Unless you have a history of a specific disease, you should not expect that disease. Most new diseases come in with new stock and even then expect the common diseases first~~for example Colibacillosis is one of the most common bacterial problems in poultry production. Also numbers of birds effected, if everything looks ill its a disease, or a major problem, one bird is generally something else (I've seen birds with cancerous tumours, swallowed nails, impacted crops and gizzards, leaky heart valves and undersized hearts ) none of which are contagious or curable with any type of antibiotic. And the thing they virtually all had in common? like every ill bird they look miserable, stood quietly hunched up and had small watery white poos.

Birds are hard to diagnosis with a specific illness, all you can do is try to keep them alive and give a general antibiotic. It generally comes down to cost, working with a vet you can generally find the problem but at a cost. All we can do on here is point you in the general direction of problems and their solutions, that we have experienced ourselves in the past . But it all needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because we are wrong more often that right........ many birds live in spite of, rather than due to our treatments.

Last edited:
Last hopefully helpful comment.....always remember KISS (keep it simple, stupid) . Unless you have a history of a specific disease, you should not expect that disease. Most new diseases come in with new stock and even then expect the common diseases first~~for example Colibacillosis is one of the most common bacterial problems in poultry production. Also numbers of birds effected, if everything looks ill its a disease, or a major problem, one bird is generally something else (I've seen birds with cancerous tumours, swallowed nails, impacted crops and gizzards, leaky heart valves and undersized hearts ) none of which are contagious or curable with any type of antibiotic. And the thing they virtually all had in common? like every ill bird they look miserable, stood quietly hunched up and had small watery white poos.

Birds are hard to diagnosis with a specific illness, all you can do is try to keep them alive and give a general antibiotic. It generally comes down to cost, working with a vet you can generally find the problem but at a cost. All we can do on here is point you in the general direction of problems and their solutions, that we have experienced ourselves in the past . But it all needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because we are wrong more often that right........ many birds live in spite of, rather than due to our treatments.
Actually, I haven't been wrong more often than not and my sick peas recover due to treatment.

My experience here on BYC is that people come looking for help, advice, answers, etc and they don't understand how serious the situation is or how quickly it can be and most people reply with very conservative advice. Sadly, the majority of peafowl and turkeys that that people post about die, they don't get better. Sad, but true.

Maybe what we all should start saying is "get your bird to a vet ASAP or there is a very good chance it will die!".

Just read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/856573/very-sick-peacock-two-siblings-already-dead

-Kathy

Last edited:
This thread was started 4.5 days ago, 3.5 days ago the OP wrote "I use AVIOZOLE/ Ronidazole POWDER I got mine from Dr. Brown.", which implies that they have had blackhead or canker. I sure would like to know what the poop looks like now.

-Kathy

Actually, I haven't been wrong more often than not and my experience here on BYC is that people come looking for help, advice, answers, etc and they don't understand how serious the situation is or how quickly it can be. Sadly, the majority of peafowl and turkeys that that people post about die, they don't get better. Sad, but true.

-Kathy
Hi Kathy,

In my experience there are a few diseases that are no-brainers so to speak, once you have had cocci, you know the signs. However with lots of the others unless the bird dies you can't be sure what was wrong with it. I've lost birds that I was sure I knew what was up with them and treated accordingly but a qualified vet opens it up, maybe looks down the microscope and bam I was wrong. So with birds that lived, that had treatment and got better. I will never know 100% what the problem was and therefore I can't say my solution was the appropriate one......so I cannot say a treatment worked just because a bird lived, I may just be very lucky this time. So although more birds live "due?" to my treatments than die, that does not make me right more often than not....

You are treating for blackhead all the time from the sound of things and then hitting the bird with a comprehensive selection of high level drugs, this combined with your dedication, attention to the birds and followed by a high level of palliative care means you are going to save every bird that is possible to save. I take my hat off to you.

However that does not mean that your initial diagnosis was correct, just that you have a excellent procedure for illness in your birds that hits most bases. My only quibble with it is it skirts (been generous there) on the borders of breaking the law, as at least two of those drugs, you mention are very dodgy. If people wish to use it I'm not bothered, they will get excellent results and I'm glad your sharing your knowledge, However i just want them to make informed choices that are right for them and that includes the legal side.

Also poultry are really good at hiding illness, stops them been eaten in the wild....therefore when people come on here with a sick looking bird it is very ill (probably for a long time), it is no wonder the birds die. Sometimes it is best to focus on the other birds ,as they may be diseased and in trouble yet easier to help.

Last edited:
Yoda wrote: "You are telling everyone to give 3/4 teaspoon of corid when it's suppose to be 1 teaspoon per gallon."

Wrong! Just do the math, you'll see.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams).
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams).
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams)
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

I have spoken with the mfg of Corid and Amprol, the doses above are correct.

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon

Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid
  • 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

1/2 teaspoon of 20% powder = 2.8125ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 270mg of amprolium.
3/4 teaspoon of 20% powder = 4.21875ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 405mg of amprolium.
1 teaspoon of 20% powder = 5.625ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 540mg of amprolium.
1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder =8.4375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 810mg of amprolium.
1.75 teaspoons of 20% powder = 9.84375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 945mg of amprolium.
2 teaspoons of 20% powder = 11.25ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 1080mg of amprolium.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Yoda wrote: "If you have such an outbreak of blackhead why you selling your birds to others? You birds could be carrying it when you sold them. Did you tell them that?"

@Yoda , the birds I sold were raised in a new brooder, in my house and their feet and beaks never touched the ground, which means they could not have had blackhead.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom