Watery Stool, no other symptoms (pics added)

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Back in June, I noticed my then 3-month old pullet had really watery stools. She weighed less than the other pullets, but otherwise there were no other concerns/symtpoms. Another hen in her flock then had a wormy stool, so I treated w/ Safegard (for goats; oral dose of .23 ml/lb. x 5 days). A month after worming, she caught up to the other pullets in terms of weight, but the watery stools continue. They don't look otherwise unhealthy - just like she's drinking a ton of water.

The pullet is now 4 1/2 months old. She's in a small flock of 4. She's on Purina Flock Raiser. She's not laying yet. She behaves normally, typical energy level, comb looks healthy, no sign of mites, bottom of the pecking order but I don't see her being picked on or bullied, she free-ranges for the majority of the day. She is a fluffy orpington x sussex mix, but I don't see her panting or otherwise indicating that she's hot.

My only other idea is to treat w/ Corrid. But since no other chicken has symptoms after all thsi time, I'm wondering if that is stilly?

8/4 ETA pic of cecal poop and pic of the pullet. She drank a TON of water shortly before this came out. Should have gone for scale in the poo pic, but the path of this poo stretched probably 8 inches or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Give her plain boiled white rice to eat for several days, mixed in her feed. Make sure it has cooled before giving it to her. It should settle her innards and hopefully clear up the runs.
She should scoff up the rice because it looks like maggots to them.
Also, stop all treats and goodies and any vitamin/mineral supplements. Feed the Flock Raiser only.

Give her plain boiled white rice to eat for several days, mixed in her feed. Make sure it has cooled before giving it to her. It should settle her innards and hopefully clear up the runs.
She should scoff up the rice because it looks like maggots to them.
Also, stop all treats and goodies and any vitamin/mineral supplements. Feed the Flock Raiser only.
Do I need to keep her locked in so she’s not free-ranging? She doesn’t get a lot of treats, but eats whatever she wants while foraging.

Back
Top Bottom