HELP - FIRST HATCH WORRIES!!

Ok, now my other chick is having problems. She was born with spraddle leg and curled in toes. I’ve almost got the toes fixed and now I’m 99% sure she’s got a slipped tendon in her leg. I’ve been doing a TON of reading and have finally ended up with this pictures attached. I’ve cut a paper straw down to the length of the chicks leg & pulled the tendon back in place, securing everything with vet wrap. I’ve made a little chair for her to sit in, but she screams in the chair! She’s staying still and not using the leg when I lay her down on a heating pad. Should I still try to keep her in the chair? Side note: she is eating & pecking soft chick food when I hold it up for her and drinking when I offer, so I think she’s definitely got some fight left in her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 3
The chick started hatching this past Saturday, didn’t hatch all the way until Monday (she was shrink wrapped and I had to help her out) I started working on her feet Tuesday after giving her time to gather strength from hatching. Did the cardboard and bandaid on her feet and tried to fix the spraddle leg with a hair band and paper straw in between. Researched some more and realized it was def a tendon out of place, stretched her leg back and confirmed by popping it back in place but it wouldn’t stay. So I’m at the point now where I’ve made a little cast to keep the leg straight and tendon in place.

Back
Top Bottom