**HELP**First Time A&m Hatcher On Day 21 No Pips

Yvonne37894

Songster
11 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Live Oak, FL
We bought the quail about 2 months ago.
They started laying after 2 weeks, and the rooster started crowing a week after that.
The first tray of 20 eggs we took out of bator at 14 days, after 5 days in hatcher we opened the eggs to find Yokes. Blamed that on bator temp too low. The nest tray of 20 we put in bator on 9/20, at 14 days we put them in hatcher after a few days we open some up to find under developed chicks. So we put them back in bator. Today is day 21 and we opend another egg to find a developed chick with a darkish gree yoke that had not absorbed yet. The chick was alive.
My questions are how long for incubation on A& M ?
At day 21 is the remaining unabsorbed dark green yoke normal?
I found a hatching chart for lot of differt quail but not a&m

Have I posted this in the wrong place?

Last edited:
Are you certain your temps are high enough? I had a batch go 97-99, and they hatched on day 23 (I'd given up, and was cleaning it out on day 22 when an egg rocked in my hand).

Before you set your next batch, crack one open, use a magnifing glass and check for a bullseye, to make sure it's fertle.

I have a better thermometer ordered. We checked the temp with a themometer used in a bator that we gotten a 100% hatch rate with EE's
Yes, they are fertil as we have unhatched chicks.

Do A & M take longer then other quail?

Quote:
NO THEY ARE A COLOR VARIATION OF COTURNIX QUAIL. 16-18 DAYS IN MOST CASES. THERES ALWAYS THE EARLY BIRD AND THE LATE BLOOMERS, BUT USUALLY 16-18 DAYS. SAME TEMP AND HUMIDITY AS CHICKEN EGGS. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR 'BATOR TEMPS ARE WAY LOW... HOW LONG ARE YOU STORING EGGS BEFORE INCUBATING?

I have only done one hatch of A&Ms and they all hatched on day 15. From first to last was 14 hours. I had a 50% hatch rate which isn't bad for eggs that were shipped in from up north during the heat of summer.

Doug

Have 4 hens and 1 roo. get 4 eggs a day as soon as we get 20 eggs they go in bator. Temp is a 99.5 bator has a fan and turner. They just don't seem to be developing in time for corturnex. Today is day 22 no pips. Although if we open an egg it will be a live chick!

Should I up the temp in hatcher?

Back
Top Bottom