Help, first time hatcher.

kelltang93

Chirping
Feb 2, 2022
My duck eggs are almost at day 13, should I drop the temperature from 37.5 c to 37.4 c because they have grown? Or keep the same temp at 37.5 until a little longer? The eggs just feel like they are in an incubator at 99.5 degrees. I just dropped the temp to 37.4 degrees because the eggs felt a little hot. Any advice?

I recently(last month) hatched out some ducklings! I kept them at 99.5°F for the entire incubation period, and humidity ~50%. You want to keep an eye on their air cell development. If you haven't marked it yet, I'd do it next time you candle. See this clip from another BYC article:
Screenshot_20220216-151458_Gallery.jpg

Do.you have extra thermometers in your incubator? The temperature could be very off the mark. My built-in thermometer on my incubator was showing 100.5-101°F when the actual temp was 99.5°... few degrees can make a big difference for those developing embryos!

I recently(last month) hatched out some ducklings! I kept them at 99.5°F for the entire incubation period, and humidity ~50%. You want to keep an eye on their air cell development. If you haven't marked it yet, I'd do it next time you candle. See this clip from another BYC article:
View attachment 2995984
Congrats on the ducklings. How big was your incubator? I have a magicfly mini.

View attachment 2995984

Do.you have extra thermometers in your incubator? The temperature could be very off the mark. My built-in thermometer on my incubator was showing 100.5-101°F when the actual temp was 99.5°... few degrees can make a big difference for those developing embryos!
No I don't have extra thermometers, I have a hygrometer/thermometer that I bought but I'm afraid to use it cause it said warning it may cause cancer on the back when I recieved it.

I think mine has more like space so it might be actually 99.5 degrees!
I just looked up your incubator, I thought it had less space, sorry! Haha. Yeah, I hope everything goelse fine with them 3 of the 6 were fertile, but I'm waiting just to make sure they are duds. I have another hygrometer/thermometer but at the moment is too big :/

My duck eggs are almost at day 13, should I drop the temperature from 37.5 c to 37.4 c because they have grown? Or keep the same temp at 37.5 until a little longer? The eggs just feel like they are in an incubator at 99.5 degrees. I just dropped the temp to 37.4 degrees because the eggs felt a little hot. Any advice?
I left my temp the same throughout incubation and lockdown, 37.5, the only reason some people drop it very slightly at lockdown is when they have very large amounts of eggs hatching. For most hatches, the same temp is fine :)

I left my temp the same throughout incubation and lockdown, 37.5, the only reason some people drop it very slightly at lockdown is when they have very large amounts of eggs hatching. For most hatches, the same temp is fine :)
Oh okay, I have 6 eggs but 3 of them don't look fertile, but I'm keeping them in it just to make sure. But 3 of them made it from being refrigerated for a week! But, they're air cells don't look big like the picture at the beginning of the diagram. So that's why I got worried.

Back
Top Bottom