HELP First time hatching! how can I tell ducks position massive saddle air sack & worried PICTURES

Had 4 shipped eggs 1 didn’t develop & 2 stopped growing day 10 & 12 so this is our last one 😭 anyway it’s had a massive saddle air cell- now seems to be pipping at the sac, is there any way I can tell if it’s in the correct position I can’t tell if the moving bit is it’s bill or wing/ leg. I’ll attach a picture
also any advice, I’ve upped the humidity incase it pips in the night, is it going to get tired keep piping at the cell like that?
Can you see veins? Or movement?
For day 25 you should see the egg full, it should be dark and you should see movement near the air cell. This looks like a quitter to me

Can you take a video candling it, very slowly turn the egg around so we can see it all angles. If there's no veins and movement, it's quit.

Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer? How often were the eggs turned?

There’s definitely veins& very clear movement. Looks to be filling the egg completely dark on candling to the naked eye, phone shows up darker patches but looks full in person
Can you take a video of the egg being candled, very slowly turn the egg all the way around, pausing briefly to show the movement you are seeing

You'll need to upload to YouTube and then paste the link here

Can you take a video of the egg being candled, very slowly turn the egg all the way around, pausing briefly to show the movement you are seeing

You'll need to upload to YouTube and then paste the link here
Haven’t turned as already candled today don’t want to touch it too much, other side is just dark though you can’t see anything bar the air cell which is only right at the bottom on the other side.

Haven’t turned as already candled today don’t want to touch it too much, other side is just dark though you can’t see anything bar the air cell which is only right at the bottom on the other side.
Oh that is very strange. Those are very deliberate strong movements against the air cell-
I'd be interested to see the other side of the egg, but ultimately there's not much you can do right now. It definitely seems behind in development, it's not too close to hatching. All you can really do is keep an eye on it. Ensure the largest part of the air cell is facing up, I know it's saddled so it's a bit tricky, but place it so that most of the air cell is on top of the baby.

How often did you turn the egg, and is your thermometer and hygrometer calibrated?

Oh that is very strange. Those are very deliberate strong movements against the air cell-
I'd be interested to see the other side of the egg, but ultimately there's not much you can do right now. It definitely seems behind in development, it's not too close to hatching. All you can really do is keep an eye on it. Ensure the largest part of the air cell is facing up, I know it's saddled so it's a bit tricky, but place it so that most of the air cell is on top of the baby.

How often did you turn the egg, and is your thermometer and hygrometer calibrated?
I’ve had it stood up small side down the past 7 days as that seems to be best advice when saddled, it’s been in a auto turner which goes off every two hours all calibrated and I have 2 separate thermometers running alongside the incubator to check temps against no massive changes we’ll no changes at all really.

I’ve had it stood up small side down the past 7 days as that seems to be best advice when saddled, it’s been in a auto turner which goes off every two hours all calibrated and I have 2 separate thermometers running alongside the incubator to check temps against no massive changes we’ll no changes at all really.
Having them stood up during incubation is often done for saddled eggs, but I'm not sure what the most successful lockdown procedure is.

How many eggs did you start with? I wouldn't buy from that seller again.

Having them stood up during incubation is often done for saddled eggs, but I'm not sure what the most successful lockdown procedure is.

How many eggs did you start with? I wouldn't buy from that seller again.
4, definitely won’t be but her reviews were brilliant so not sure what’s gone wrong tbh! I’m just not sure what best to do from here position wise, how often to check if at all! I know your not ment to open the incubator but I need to check incase it tries to pip the other end, I’m hoping what you can see on the video is good and it’s piping the right end 🤞

4, definitely won’t be but her reviews were brilliant so not sure what’s gone wrong tbh! I’m just not sure what best to do from here position wise, how often to check if at all! I know your not ment to open the incubator but I need to check incase it tries to pip the other end, I’m hoping what you can see on the video is good and it’s piping the right end 🤞
Checking is fine, the only risk is letting the humidity escape after an external pip. But even then, it's usually fine. Before an external pip is no problem at all.

You could check daily, or twice daily, I'd reccomend using your phone's flashlight to candle so that you don't need to handle the egg. That way you can just reach into the incubator to check quickly for an internal pip/any changes.

It's hard to tell what position it is in, but what you can do is look the egg over occasionally for bruises. A bruise may appear if the duckling is having a hard time breaking the shell, and would indicate it being malpositioned. I wouldnt expect to see this just yet, as it seems a little under developed and its only day 25.

Back
Top Bottom