HELP First time hatching! how can I tell ducks position massive saddle air sack & worried PICTURES

I had shipped eggs last year (chicken not ducks) that had major saddling like that. I just set them with the big saddled part facing up. My chicks had zero issues hatching and came out healthy. They are 6 and 7 mo old now and starting to lay and all doing great. maybe that isn't the norm for saddled air cells I don't know. I just know I had 2 sets of shipped eggs and some in each had it, a LOT of them not just 1 or 2 and never had an issue because of it. I will post up some pictures of my eggs so you can see. IMO I would try not to worry too much. It looks like it may have internally pipped or is close. just give it time to do its thing.

2 sets of eggs. The first couple of pics were 2-3 days before they hatched. The rest are about 6-7 days before. A couple from that same hatch and a couple from the hatch before it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_211606174.jpg
    IMG_20220815_211606174.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220815_211341574.jpg
    IMG_20220815_211341574.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220815_211556872.jpg
    IMG_20220815_211556872.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220811_214953862.jpg
    IMG_20220811_214953862.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220811_214803453.jpg
    IMG_20220811_214803453.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220710_220036386~2.jpg
    IMG_20220710_220036386~2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220710_215755352~2.jpg
    IMG_20220710_215755352~2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220710_215410308~2.jpg
    IMG_20220710_215410308~2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220710_215334745~2.jpg
    IMG_20220710_215334745~2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
To me that looks like internal pip
To candle when they are that far you should just keep the egg in the position of laying down
You may not hear chirping as not all do this but if you hold the egg ti your ear you will hear scratching noise
Agsin keep the egg in the laying down position when putting it to your ear
I only make a small safety hole and 24 hours just above where I see the beak the size of a sharpened pencil end
Nothing to big. This allows air in but not so much that membrane dries out
Most still external pip and zip but if they don’t then you can slowly start to help after 20-24 hours from making the safety hole. You don’t want to rush things as it can cause harm and these guys take awhile to hatch
Ok I’ll make sure to be laying down from now thank you!
Can’t hear anything at all yet 😬 going to do a little air hole tonight once it’s dark enough to candle & make sure I’m not too near to anything!
At least that way I know I’ve done what I can & will feel more chilled to leave it to do it’s thing for a while longer 🤞🤞

2 sets of eggs. The first couple of pics were 2-3 days before they hatched. The rest are about 6-7 days before. A couple from that same hatch and a couple from the hatch before it.
That’s reassuring thank you! I’ve decided I’m going to do a air hole tonight just incase they have pipped as it’s been 24 hours now since I’ve suspected it, I think I’ll feel more comfortable watching and waiting then!
It’s soo hard to tell if your instinct is just paranoia orrrr you need to do something 😬🤣
May be a silly question but the day you put the eggs in the bator does that class as day 1 or day 0??

That’s reassuring thank you! I’ve decided I’m going to do a air hole tonight just incase they have pipped as it’s been 24 hours now since I’ve suspected it, I think I’ll feel more comfortable watching and waiting then!
It’s soo hard to tell if your instinct is just paranoia orrrr you need to do something 😬🤣
May be a silly question but the day you put the eggs in the bator does that class as day 1 or day 0??
The day they go into the incubator is 0, 24 hours later is the start of day 1. Essentially, first day isn't counted

I thought I read if you do a safety hole and they haven't internally pipped it can be bad. My chicks will normally peep if internally pipped or I at least hear the scratching sound. Sometimes I will tap on the egg to get it to start peeping or it will start when I candle it.

I thought I read if you do a safety hole and they haven't internally pipped it can be bad. My chicks will normally peep if internally pipped or I at least hear the scratching sound. Sometimes I will tap on the egg to get it to start peeping or it will start when I candle it.
It's bad if the membrane dries out- but it isn't likely to pose a risk if done correctly. Some folks do this with their expensive eggs when they enter lockdown, as a safety net incase they don't notice an internal pip and the chick doesn't get enough air.
I don't think it's necessary and probably wouldn't personally do this, I don't know anyone who does, but it is a method some people use- so to each their own.

Honestly it looks fine and on time to me in the picture. Yes the air cell is saddled, but that's what happens when eggs are shipped and jostled around. In the future it's perfectly fine to dry brush the dirt/crud off of the eggs. I bought a small vegetable scrubbing brush that I use for that sole purpose. It's when you wet the egg to clean it that it can remove the blume and can push the bacteria inside. I personally would just lay it on its side air cell up and leave it be. It's not uncommon for ducklings to move less and peep less as they run out of room in the egg. I typically discourage new hatchers from stepping in and making safety holes. I just have seen more harm than good done because someone stepped in too early and didn't know exactly what they were doing.

This is what I’m worried about just stepping in too soon arghhh it’s soo bloody hard! I think because it’s the last one it’s like we have one chance Ino I could make things worse by messing but I’m worrying about it suffercating 😬
Also the comments about it not having veins and not looking developed or alive haven’t helped veryyyy on edge

This is what I’m worried about just stepping in too soon arghhh it’s soo bloody hard! I think because it’s the last one it’s like we have one chance Ino I could make things worse by messing but I’m worrying about it suffercating 😬
Also the comments about it not having veins and not looking developed or alive haven’t helped veryyyy on edge
The safest thing to do is probably wait. Whether it's internally pipped or not, it should have enough air for 24-30 hours, sometimes longer depending on the size of the aircell. If you aren't certain it's internally pipped (hearing tapping or chirping) then I would just wait and then decide what you want to do.

Don't let the earlier comments worry you-
The first photos were worrying but it's clearly more developed than we thought. And very clearly alive.

And it's only day 25/26!!! You have 3 whole days before it's due. I know hatching is stressful, soo stressful, but try to relax for now. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom