HELP..First time hatching.

ojust4today

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2016
Chester, Maryland
I am in desperate need of help. When this happens this site is usually the place I end up going. I know here I can get some of these random questions and concerns I have answered.

So I have one hen sitting on a half dozen or so eggs and a turkey who is sitting on if I had to guess 30 or so chicken eggs. Both of these sitting birds are in a coop with 40+ other hens who are also laying eggs daily.

I have several nesting boxes so there are plenty of spots for the other hens to lay their eggs. However, next to both sitting hens are other nest that are used daily for egg laying and often I find eggs randomly in the middle of the two. Meaning in the middle of the sitting hen and laying hen nest. So I did not think these eggs were from the sitting hens and assumed they were newly laid eggs.

I get the eggs daily early and I sell 90% of the eggs that are laid. Recently I have been eating more eggs then usual for a diet I just started and in this time period I have cracked open at least 8 eggs that were fertilized and were obviously forming baby chicks or were almost developed.

I have never allowed my hens to sit. We have one rooster. I had not idea he was capable of fertilizing that many hens eggs until now. The reason I am allowing them to sit is many chicken keepers have told me it was a very easy process and the hens would raise the babies on their own. So as a result, these are the things I did not take into consideration and now I have concerns about.

MY questions...

1. Why were the eggs pushed away from the nest the hen was sitting on?
2. Once the sitting cycle starts are eggs added daily until the eggs hatch? If so do the hens still sit even when they have babies now or do they abandon the other eggs? (I'm asking this because I a. concerned eggs are being added daily to the nest the turkey hen is sitting on.)(Also once the babies hatch I am putting them in a separate pen with the moms, do I take all the unhatched eggs to that pen as well and let her keep sitting or she will abandon the unhatched eggs at that point?)
3. Even though my turkey is sitting on chicken eggs, will she raise the babies like her own?
4. I'm really worried I may have sold eggs that could have been developed to my customers and I feel really bad about this. What should I do in this situation? What should I do at this point to prevent is from happening again with the sitting hens in the coop with the laying hens?

An FYI my hens have been sitting approx. 15 days

1. Why were the eggs pushed away from the nest the hen was sitting on?
Because there are too many eggs under the hen.
2. Once the sitting cycle starts are eggs added daily until the eggs hatch? If so do the hens still sit even when they have babies now or do they abandon the other eggs? (I'm asking this because I am concerned eggs are being added daily to the nest the turkey hen is sitting on.)(Also once the babies hatch I am putting them in a separate pen with the moms, do I take all the unhatched eggs to that pen as well and let her keep sitting or she will abandon the unhatched eggs at that point?)
The broody may add an egg daily for a few days until she is really serious about being broody. Once the hatch starts, the broody may sit a couple more days before abandoning the nest unless the new hatchlings are removed. Once the hen abandons the nest, either dispose of the remaining eggs or place them in a incubator to finish hatching.
3. Even though my turkey is sitting on chicken eggs, will she raise the babies like her own?
She may. The real problem is that chickens and turkeys do not speak the same language.
4. I'm really worried I may have sold eggs that could have been developed to my customers and I feel really bad about this. What should I do in this situation? What should I do at this point to prevent is from happening again with the sitting hens in the coop with the laying hens?
Apologize to any customers that have received developing eggs and explain that you are taking steps to keep this from happening again.

In the future, write the month and day the egg was laid on the egg with a pencil or a sharpie when you find the eggs under the broodies. Once a sufficient clutch has been laid, remove any new eggs on a daily basis. You will know they are new eggs because you will not have already written the date on them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
In the future, right the month and day the egg was laid on the egg with a pencil or a sharpie when you find the eggs under the broodies. O
Pencil rubs off under a broody! So I use sharpie (not red because it looks like blood sometimes after pip) and mark a nice circle around the eggs in both directions... makes it easy to see which are supposed to stay when you check nightly to collect any new additions from other layers. :)

were obviously forming baby chicks
I don't doubt you are correct... but just mentioning that sometimes a blood spot or meat spot can be mistaken for an embryo. :sick

The previous poster gave excellent advice! :thumbsup

Do not be supprised if you loose some of your egg customers after this.
That is one of the most disgusting and honestly will be quite traumatizing for some people. Some will compleatly sware off farm fresh eggs and go back to store bought.
Only gather your eggs from designated nest boxes at least once daily. Eggs in hidden nests or eggs on the floor of the coop are suspect. Especially if you have broody hatching on the same floor.
Lesson learned, and im sure you will never do that again.
Deffinately concider setting up yourself a couple hutches for your broodies.
Separate them from the others so staggered batch is avioded.
Dont let your turkey set on chicken eggs.
Break up broodies so they go back to laying.
It sounds like you have quite a good egg business, you dont want to ruin that.
Sorry this has happened to you.

Because there are too many eggs under the hen.

1. These eggs were about 6 inches or so from under where the other eggs were laid and some looked to me could have been fully develped. I could clearly see they were baby hens inside once cracked. Would the hen push them aside if she knew there were not developing or it could have been like you mentioned to many?

The broody may add an egg daily for a few days until she is really serious about being broody. Once the hatch starts, the broody may sit a couple more days before abandoning the nest unless the new hatchlings are removed. Once the hen abandons the nest, either dispose of the remaining eggs or place them in a incubator to finish hatching.

1. So when the eggs hatch if I were to move the hen, the hatchlings and the nest to the other coop? Would the hen pick up where she left off and I would not be disruptive to the process in doing so?

She may. The real problem is that chickens and turkeys do not speak the same language.

*Interesting...I'm interested in seeing how many hatch and how many there are. Also this turkey hen has wanted strongly to sit for three years and finally she gets to. Do you think keeping her and my other hen in a pen together raising the hatchlings will be ok? I only have the one other space available for them to share. Its about 20 ft in length by 8 feet in width, with a small coop for cover.

Apologize to any customers that have received developing eggs and explain that you are taking steps to keep this from happening again.

In the future, write the month and day the egg was laid on the egg with a pencil or a sharpie when you find the eggs under the broodies. Once a sufficient clutch has been laid, remove any new eggs on a daily basis. You will know they are new eggs because you will not have already written the date on them.

1. So I have only been nipped by one hen and I have not allowed it to happen again. I go to great lengths to make sure it does not happen by using tools to get the eggs (Ex. cat litter scoop) So I do not mess with the eggs that they are sitting on...hence the approx. guess of how many it may be. That turkey hisses and is nasty when I go near her. I can't wrap my head around the idea of grabbing her eggs to write on them. I understand thought I do not want to risk selling a customer a developed egg. Therefore, I will have to get over it. Since im dealing with such a large amount of eggs and we are close to hatching is there a chance if I am able just mark all the eggs under her with the sharpie so that is done. If there is new eggs added at this point what should I do?

Good luck.

First off...thanks so much for taking the time to respond and answer my concerns. I really appreciate your advice and I agree it is excellent advice. I have a couple more questions now, if you do not mind providing more insight.

Thanks you again so much! :)

Pencil rubs off under a broody! So I use sharpie (not red because it looks like blood sometimes after pip) and mark a nice circle around the eggs in both directions... makes it easy to see which are supposed to stay when you check nightly to collect any new additions from other layers. :)

I don't doubt you are correct... but just mentioning that sometimes a blood spot or meat spot can be mistaken for an embryo. :sick

The previous poster gave excellent advice! :thumbsup

Thank you so much!

Do not be supprised if you loose some of your egg customers after this.
That is one of the most disgusting and honestly will be quite traumatizing for some people. Some will compleatly sware off farm fresh eggs and go back to store bought.
Only gather your eggs from designated nest boxes at least once daily. Eggs in hidden nests or eggs on the floor of the coop are suspect. Especially if you have broody hatching on the same floor.
Lesson learned, and im sure you will never do that again.
Deffinately concider setting up yourself a couple hutches for your broodies.
Separate them from the others so staggered batch is avioded.
Dont let your turkey set on chicken eggs.
Break up broodies so they go back to laying.
It sounds like you have quite a good egg business, you dont want to ruin that.
Sorry this has happened to you.

The way you are responding is exactly how I feel. WTH how did I allow this to happen it totally could of and should have been avoided. Ahhhhhhh :(

Yes staggered batch that is the term I never heard of but makes perfect sense. So how many eggs do you suggest you stop at for one broody hen?

Break up Broodies??? Emphasize please.
So the eggs that are being sat on by my one broody hen are most likely not her own?

Thank you so much for your response and your honesty. I do well, I get 25-35 eggs per day and everyone is sold. Weekly customers. I take them to church on Wednesday and they are all bought there and only a handful of customers come to my house. I get $2 dz & $3 18 pack. The one positive thing is everyone is my friend no strangers so maybe they will give me, my hens and the eggs some grace on this one. :) Definitly lesson learned. My husband would have a fit he does not even know im allowing two hens to sit and the details have explained here.

Depending on the size of your hen. A standard size, say barred rock I would put about 10 eggs maximum. A banty hen about 8 banty eggs or approximately 6 standard eggs. You see, size of hen and size of eggs will make a difference breaking a broody involves getting her outside in the fresh air and cooling her. @aart has a good picture of a hen in a wire dog kennel that works for most people. No dark cozy area for her to Nestle down and continue her broodyness.
Do you have an incubator? You could let your broody continue elsewhere. Take the eggs from the Turkey and continue them on an incubator.
Have plans for what you are going to do with all the roosters you hatch out. Half of your chicks will be males.

Interesting...I'm interested in seeing how many hatch and how many there are. Also this turkey hen has wanted strongly to sit for three years and finally she gets to. Do you think keeping her and my other hen in a pen together raising the hatchlings will be ok? I only have the one other space available for them to share. Its about 20 ft in length by 8 feet in width, with a small coop for cover.

1. So I have only been nipped by one hen and I have not allowed it to happen again. I go to great lengths to make sure it does not happen by using tools to get the eggs (Ex. cat litter scoop) So I do not mess with the eggs that they are sitting on...hence the approx. guess of how many it may be. That turkey hisses and is nasty when I go near her. I can't wrap my head around the idea of grabbing her eggs to write on them. I understand thought I do not want to risk selling a customer a developed egg. Therefore, I will have to get over it. Since I'm dealing with such a large amount of eggs and we are close to hatching is there a chance if I am able just mark all the eggs under her with the sharpie so that is done. If there is new eggs added at this point what should I do?
It may or may not work to keep the broody chicken and broody turkey in the same pen. Whether a chicken or turkey it depends on the individual broody. Some broodies will not tolerate chicks other than her own and will kill any chicks that are not hers. Some broodies are very accepting and tolerant of other chicks.

Wear a jacket and gloves when dealing with nasty broodies. It is very common for a broody turkey hen to hiss when anyone or thing comes near her nest. Some will strike every bit as fast as a snake. Wear protective clothing.

At this stage, you can mark all eggs that are under the the broodies and then remove any new eggs as they are found.

Back
Top Bottom