1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

help..fish hook removed but cheek very puffy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by s dinaldi, Jul 26, 2014.

1. s dinaldi

s dinaldi Hatching

Jun 15, 2014
    Hi please help...my 7 wk merganser grabbed a fish hook.I removed I by pushing it the rest of the way through..this was yesterday about 3pm...he was fine after the incident play. rest of day..cheek was a bit puffy last nite...2am till 7am he chirped, and seemed in pain. cheek a bit more puffy...slept most of 2day only ate a little bit...preening a little bit and swelling has gone down a little butI am still worried and am looking for any advice. We r away at camp.I swabbed the inside of his cheek on the injured side with lListerine..no peroxide.here. Don't think swelling is infection yet as it was swollen last nite, only a few hrs after the injury...what do I do now or what do I need to watch out for..thanks...worried mom

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I'd put some Apple Cider Vinegar into his drinking water it has antibacterial proprieties and aids in healing he'll drink some too and is a great tonic. Put 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might try dabbing a little triple antibiotic ointment on the skin on the outside of the cheek also - it may absorb into the skin a tiny bit. I would plan on contacting a vet a.s.a.p. and getting antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by