Help!!! (GRAPHIC)

kdolly87

Songster
5 Years
Dec 22, 2014
Dalton Ga
My rooster Clyde turned today and attacked my 9 week old americauna. They had no problems previously. The scalp was ripped off. There's no bird vet within a couple hours drive. What do I do??
Here she is...

My rooster Clyde turned today and attacked my 9 week old americauna. They had no problems previously. The scalp was ripped off. There's no bird vet within a couple hours drive. What do I do??
Here she is...

Well, if you have a feed store or Tractor supply nearby, there are plenty of wound sprays you can use on it. Wash it with sterile water first. I use a product called WonderDust on something like that because it puts a scab on the wound really fast and it also has antibiotic properties. I have found that stuff in the horse dept in the feed stores. Others have had good results with a product called Vetericyn.
Chickens can heal from stuff like this, just keep it clean and flys away. If you aren't willing to buy a special product, you can try neosporin (without the pain reliever) or I have read many have good results with just organic honey for wounds.

Btw, Clyde being a boy could be why he was attacked. Rooster letting him know his place.

Last edited:
I use a spray called Blu-Kote for my chickens. You can get it at a farm/feed store. It is antiseptic as well and turns the sprayed area purple to hide the color of blood. Keep her inside so she can heal without any chickens pecking at her and so she can get enough food, water, and rest. Chickens are amazingly tough and she should heal up fine.

This has happened to me, except to a lesser extent. My Vorwerk (misty) cockerel suddenly started to continually peck one of my hybrids (snow) around her head and face , and wouldn't stop even when she tried to get under the pen and was bleeding badly. We isolated him and Snow for a bit, and cleaned Snows head up a bit with very diluted tcp and lukewarm water. Then we put her back in the pen on her own to recover, while the other hens went in the gardens. She recovered quite quickly and is fine now. Misty, however now lives at a garden centre down the road with a lot of other cockerels and hens, as we decided this was the last straw, as he was getting quite aggressive to people. But also, he has calmed down now and is enjoying his new life. We don't know why he did this, but we assume it was because Snow was/is the dominant hen, and didn't like being pushed around when we introduced a cockerel, so bullied him a bit when he was smaller. But when he grew up I guess he took revenge, or wanted to assert his dominance over the others?

Well, if you have a feed store or Tractor supply nearby, there are plenty of wound sprays you can use on it. Wash it with sterile water first. I use a product called WonderDust on something like that because it puts a scab on the wound really fast and it also has antibiotic properties. I have found that stuff in the horse dept in the feed stores. Others have had good results with a product called Vetericyn.
Chickens can heal from stuff like this, just keep it clean and flys away. If you aren't willing to buy a special product, you can try neosporin (without the pain reliever) or I have read many have good results with just organic honey for wounds.

Thank you!!! That helps so much. And makes me feel better!! I'm definitely going to tractor supply ASAP. The rooster on the other had didn't have a great outcome from this event.

I use a spray called Blu-Kote for my chickens. You can get it at a farm/feed store. It is antiseptic as well and turns the sprayed area purple to hide the color of blood. Keep her inside so she can heal without any chickens pecking at her and so she can get enough food, water, and rest. Chickens are amazingly tough and she should heal up fine. 

Thank you!!!

Btw, Clyde being a boy could be why he was attacked. Rooster letting him know his place.

Yeah I thought about that too but Clyde had been attacking my older dominant game fowl. If the chick is a boy we'll cross that road later! Lol

This has happened to me, except to a lesser extent. My Vorwerk (misty) cockerel suddenly started to continually peck one of my hybrids (snow) around her head and face , and wouldn't stop even when she tried to get under the pen and was bleeding badly. We isolated him and Snow for a bit, and cleaned Snows head up a bit with very diluted tcp and lukewarm water. Then we put her back in the pen on her own to recover, while the other hens went in the gardens. She recovered quite quickly and is fine now. Misty, however now lives at a garden centre down the road with a lot of other cockerels and hens, as we decided this was the last straw, as he was getting quite aggressive to people. But also, he has calmed down now and is enjoying his new life. We don't know why he did this, but we assume it was because Snow was/is the dominant hen, and didn't like being pushed around when we introduced a cockerel, so bullied him a bit when he was smaller. But when he grew up I guess he took revenge, or wanted to assert his dominance over the others?

Glad to know you've had the same event. Clyde unfortunately doesnt have a sanctuary. He'd been getting more and more aggressive with me and the other hens. So Clyde went to be with God. Rest in peace Clyde.

You need to wash the wound with some warm water and soap the better is an antiseptic soap. After the wound has been cleaned, you need to disinfect the wound with anti septic material like Iodine. After you disinfected the wound you need to smear on the wound an antibiotic ointment. You need to repeat this treatment for 3-5 days, after this period you need to continue with the Iodine until the situation is better. In this period you need to monitor the situation if you see that the wound is infected (swollen,red,hot,oozing fluids or pos ) you need to give some broad spectrum antibiotic(Tylan,tetracycline or any outer) orally
Good luck!

You need to wash the wound with some warm water and soap the better is an antiseptic soap. After the wound has been cleaned, you need to disinfect the wound with anti septic material like Iodine. After you disinfected the wound you need to smear on the wound an antibiotic ointment. You need to repeat this treatment for 3-5 days, after this period you need to continue with the Iodine until the situation is better. In this period you need to monitor the situation if you see that the wound is infected (swollen,red,hot,oozing fluids or pos ) you need to give some broad spectrum antibiotic(Tylan,tetracycline or any outer) orally
Good luck!

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom