Help Guinea had an egg in January.

DonnaScott

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
Turnersville NJ
My guinea had her first egg today in s coop that's only 4 x 4 and no beds prepared yet. If she keeps it on the ground she will be pooped on.

What do I do now and is she going to lay more. I Feel terrible.

Should I build her something in her run? Put her in another coop, will she be having more...lost, any advice would be amazin. Will she take care of eggs in the pen?

Last edited:
My guinea had her first egg today in s coop that's only 4 x 4 and no beds prepared yet. If she keeps it on the ground she will be pooped on.

What do I do now and is she going to lay more. I Feel terrible.

Should I build her something in her run? Put her in another coop, will she be having more...lost, any advice would be amazin. Will she take care of eggs in the pen?
You can put a "poop board" above her nest. That is if it is an actual nest. It is not uncommon for first time layers to drop their eggs anywhere until they figure out what is going on.

Once she gets to the point that she is actually making a nest, she will keep adding eggs to the nest until she has a large enough clutch to trigger broodiness.

Will she probably have more. Wasnt ready for this and super unprepared. Should I take the egg out? Shes not laying on it...she is roosting with everyone else.
You can take it out. If she has actually made a nest, replace it with a fake egg otherwise she will abandon that spot for somewhere more hidden. She will not sit on the eggs until she has a big enough clutch to cause her to go broody.

If it wasn't for your help I'd be lost. You always respond and help! Thank you!
Do you think she will continue laying or was that a fluke? It's about 40 here. Had a freak 65 degree day and some 50's this week.
You are a little far north to have a guinea laying in January. That usually happens farther south with their longer daylight hours. If you are providing supplemental light, that can trigger early laying. In that case she certainly could keep on laying but that can also result in the laying season ending sooner than normal.

My guineas normally start laying in April and continue laying into October.

You are a little far north to have a guinea laying in January. That usually happens farther south with their longer daylight hours. If you are providing supplemental light, that can trigger early laying. In that case she certainly could keep on laying but that can also result in the laying season ending sooner than normal.

My guineas normally start laying in April and continue laying into October.
I’m further south than you, Oklahoma, and our guineas also laid April - October of last year. Your girl is a little confused! :gig Our mature cock did decide that mating should start a few weeks ago!:th

No lighting...just a nightlight for ten minutes while they hop up to roost.

So the hundred roosting boxes I set up in the pouring rain for her will probably be useless. I have my first egg to eat then. There's that! :)
I hope your guinea hen will use the nest boxes - mine initially used their nest boxes, then decided to just hide them wherever it struck their fancy. Including in places where they got exposed to the elements....and they seemed to really enjoy burying them. Commence the treasure hunt!

Enjoy that wonderful egg! Like @red horse ranch said, guinea eggs are delicious (arguably tastier than chicken or duck), with a tough shell.

Back
Top Bottom