Help! Had to bathe...

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
My rooster bc he had poop crusted all over his little bootyhole. He is a fluffy guy (Brahma). All in all he is around a week old now, but is still so tiny and adorable.

Anywho, back on track. I try not to wash them or anything unless absolutely necessary. I have only had to clean 2 chicken butts from you know.

So I go to wash just his butt, yet this little man decides jerking was the proper thing to do and he got soaked. Ever seen a wet baby chicken? They look like a drowned rat.

I was wondering if all this is normal for a baby rooster? I know the crop now. But are those testicles which I know are inside the body, but just his body isn't big enough yet? (Obviously). Left one was soft and right one was hard as hell (my left and right in the photo, not the roosters). I figured they are testicles. Let me know if I am wrong and this is concerning.
20230609_221249.jpg

Dry him well with a hair dryer.

I don't think you can feel the testicles.
Likely you are feeling the gizzard and the abdomen.

How warm is your brooder on the warm side and the cool side? (Temperature reading?)
Photos of the brooder may be helpful.
It has a nice warm spot where the light is and the cooler (not by much) side. I should have a pic with it somewhere.

Pasty butt can be from overheating.

Looks like they need more space. Do you have a bigger tote or is your outdoor space ready so they can go outside?
Bigger area is otw and they go outside daily for hours. With supervision bc the neighbor has a rooster and I don't want to leave them alone near him. We have a fence and all but he pops right over. He is a male Rhode Island Red. He has came over to say hello, I think. He has circled them a few times but nothing aggressive that I see. I am also new to rooster behavior as well. The female rhode island red I have, named Ember, has tried to jump at him and chase him already. Like girl chill. Lol. She is one to watch.

But are those testicles which I know are inside the body, but just his body isn't big enough yet? (Obviously). Left one was soft and right one was hard as hell (my left and right in the photo, not the roosters). I figured they are testicles.
Testicles are actually up closer to the spine (which is why caponizing takes practice). Nothing like what mammals have.

Back
Top Bottom