HELP - Having some trouble/issues - first broody hen, and my first time... :/

Shezadandy! Thank you for finding me. Ok, I am a bit nervous and am supposed to be leaving for work. Update on the remaining 7 eggs. The one that Enid (mama) pecked a hole in, is still intact and under her, but something smells a little and I think it might be that. An egg pipped, or do you say that the chick pipped? I saw it yesterday evening, could hear peeping & cheeping, so I put it back under mom, pip hole up and walked away for the night. I am trying to leave them to their own, because of what happened Friday night. This morning I had a very hard time getting mama to move off of the eggs, but she did for a few seconds and the pipped egg is just membrane now and I could still hear the chick, but not as loudly. I don't want to interfere and I have to go to work, but I am so worried about coming home to a dead chick, or whatever is left of it.

These are all her own eggs, and yes they were staggered. I had not marked them at first, so by the time I realized she had laid more I didn't know what was what; although in hindsight, I could have candled them and known... darn it. I had no idea that she'd only hatch out the first bunch and then need to leave them. There are 2 that look about a week out and then 2 more a week behind those. Does that mean that the 4 will just die off in the shell? This baby stuff is sad. I don't need more chickens, I just wanted to let Enid have some. She's not very personable, but a great layer and she's looking like a good mom.

hmm.png

Yeah- once they're broody and ready to sit on a clutch, they won't lay any more new eggs and the 21 day clock starts. A lot of people watch to see that she starts sleeping on the nest for at least 3 nights to make sure she's sleeping on her nest and not leaving the eggs to go roost at night. If she's ready to commit to the nest, she'll only step off 1-2 a day for short breaks to eat, drink and poop. Collect the eggs you want her to hatch- not sure how long they can stay at room temperature but the answer is definitely on here somewhere- they stay viable for a reasonable amount of time. Once she's committed to the nest and sleeping there, then label the fertile eggs you intend her to sit on in some manner (so you'll know which are which in case another hen jumps in the box and lays one), and give them to her all at once. She should take them right under her and act like it's the best Christmas gift ever. Then the clock starts. Now, some do put their eggs in the incubator- but all those eggs are started at the same time so they're within a day or so in terms of development-- and they wait even longer before doing the switch.

If you do incubate, one thing to be aware of is she's only been truly broody say for a week, and the chicks start hatching, she may well destroy them because she's not prepared in terms of hormones to raise them yet. That will come down to the hen. Some are good after only a couple weeks-- ours had her eggs after 3 nights of sleeping in the nest box, and had those eggs for the full 21 days so she was right on track when they hatched to accept them. Of the original 12 eggs, we got 5 chicks, and that was just fine with us.

Broodies brooding with the flock are more prone to losing eggs, it does happen- other hens step in her nest box and lay a fresh egg, and they might step on her or a fertile egg, cracking it- hens steal eggs from eachother and move them-- so it's up about how much separation to give her. I brooded with the flock and once I heard that first peep, I put up the hardware cloth protection pen around the nest box so the brand-new chicks wouldn't get taken by the other hens (who can/have eaten them while the broody is still on her nest trying to hatch the rest). If they wander out while she's still waiting on some to hatch, she's not defending them. Once she's up and ready to move the chicks around, she can defend them. My little pen had a top too- but for pictures I had top off.

Before I lifted the protection pen (short lived, only a couple days) I gave the other hens their favorite thing which is a flock block (can't see it but it's what they're gathered around below)- which took all the attention from the new little members of the flock and kept their beaks very busy. Giving the broody her own space to learn to walk with chicks is important- we locked the others out of the coop for an hour or two a day once she was done with sitting on the nest so she could get the hang of walking with chicks, from there she did allll the rest, and they grew up in the flock. Keeping them separate is another option- and certainly if the broody can't defend them properly, it's a very good idea to keep them from the other adults-- all depends on your flock.

Hopefully you come home to a couple dry, fluffy chicks- whatever isn't ready to hatch will be lost, because once she's up with chicks, the eggs are no longer incubated.
If nobody hatches successfully from the first few that were ready and she keeps sitting the nest, if they're only a week out, maybe she'll hatch the second group.
If she gets up and is done brooding with no chicks, clean out the nest and let her regain weight and condition etc. If she broods again, it's important to see that she's sleeping there and only moving off for a short time each day, and put eggs under all at the same time. If she's still laying eggs, she's building her clutch, but isn't broody.

Yeah- once they're broody and ready to sit on a clutch, they won't lay any more new eggs and the 21 day clock starts. A lot of people watch to see that she starts sleeping on the nest for at least 3 nights to make sure she's sleeping on her nest and not leaving the eggs to go roost at night. If she's ready to commit to the nest, she'll only step off 1-2 a day for short breaks to eat, drink and poop. Collect the eggs you want her to hatch- not sure how long they can stay at room temperature but the answer is definitely on here somewhere- they stay viable for a reasonable amount of time. Once she's committed to the nest and sleeping there, then label the fertile eggs you intend her to sit on in some manner (so you'll know which are which in case another hen jumps in the box and lays one), and give them to her all at once. She should take them right under her and act like it's the best Christmas gift ever. Then the clock starts. Now, some do put their eggs in the incubator- but all those eggs are started at the same time so they're within a day or so in terms of development-- and they wait even longer before doing the switch.

If you do incubate, one thing to be aware of is she's only been truly broody say for a week, and the chicks start hatching, she may well destroy them because she's not prepared in terms of hormones to raise them yet. That will come down to the hen. Some are good after only a couple weeks-- ours had her eggs after 3 nights of sleeping in the nest box, and had those eggs for the full 21 days so she was right on track when they hatched to accept them. Of the original 12 eggs, we got 5 chicks, and that was just fine with us.

Broodies brooding with the flock are more prone to losing eggs, it does happen- other hens step in her nest box and lay a fresh egg, and they might step on her or a fertile egg, cracking it- hens steal eggs from eachother and move them-- so it's up about how much separation to give her. I brooded with the flock and once I heard that first peep, I put up the hardware cloth protection pen around the nest box so the brand-new chicks wouldn't get taken by the other hens (who can/have eaten them while the broody is still on her nest trying to hatch the rest). If they wander out while she's still waiting on some to hatch, she's not defending them. Once she's up and ready to move the chicks around, she can defend them. My little pen had a top too- but for pictures I had top off.

Before I lifted the protection pen (short lived, only a couple days) I gave the other hens their favorite thing which is a flock block (can't see it but it's what they're gathered around below)- which took all the attention from the new little members of the flock and kept their beaks very busy. Giving the broody her own space to learn to walk with chicks is important- we locked the others out of the coop for an hour or two a day once she was done with sitting on the nest so she could get the hang of walking with chicks, from there she did allll the rest, and they grew up in the flock. Keeping them separate is another option- and certainly if the broody can't defend them properly, it's a very good idea to keep them from the other adults-- all depends on your flock.

Hopefully you come home to a couple dry, fluffy chicks- whatever isn't ready to hatch will be lost, because once she's up with chicks, the eggs are no longer incubated.
If nobody hatches successfully from the first few that were ready and she keeps sitting the nest, if they're only a week out, maybe she'll hatch the second group.
If she gets up and is done brooding with no chicks, clean out the nest and let her regain weight and condition etc. If she broods again, it's important to see that she's sleeping there and only moving off for a short time each day, and put eggs under all at the same time. If she's still laying eggs, she's building her clutch, but isn't broody.

Just curious if some chicks hatched?
Kelsey, I need to read over all of this info again. I printed it out at work, sans the pics, and left it there... I was pre-occupied. She had 5 of her own and when I went to move her she had 8. This hen barely left her post, so I am amazed anyone else had time to jump in. I thought they were hers, until you said she wouldn't lay more, so we'll see! There was the very first one that died and a putrid one, the one she had poked a hole in. Do you think she knew it was bad and made the hole or because of the hole she made, it became bad? Anyway, I will get back on later, but I wanted to answer WVduckchick - I was too worried to see for myself, so a good friend stopped by and he lifted the lid on the nesting box and shut it quickly, but I saw the goofy look on his face, so I new there was a live chick!!! just one, so far, 5 eggs to go. I am so excited and so thankful to have "met" you all!
jumpy.gif

Totally agree with @Shezadandy. I followed basically the same routine and had some great broody hatches.

I take a sharpie marker (pencil will rub off and sharpie doesn't hurt a thing) and draw a big circle on the fat end of the egg. That way, I know where to look for it under a hen, and I dont have to flip the eggs to find it. That's how I mark the good ones, and any without that mark get removed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yayay baby chickie!!!

If your setup allows, maybe put out a little dish of chick-starter or flock-raiser (not layer pellets- young chicks should not get layer pellets until 16-18 weeks because the extra calcium will do bad things to them). Our broody started breaking up layer pellets as soon as the first expedition happened- they'll eat what she gives them, so I had to switch everyone to flock raiser. Also, especially since you're in AZ, a chick waterer within beak-reach- technically they can go a couple days without and they'll be fine, but mine started teaching them to eat and drink day 1 while she was still sitting on eggs.

Also, make sure ANY water, and I mean dog dishes, deeper chicken waters, horse tubs--- are out of reach of chicks. Don't assume something is too high-sided that they won't get in... maybe not today... maybe not tomorrow-- but soon, they will be able to do it, so it's better to look around right now with big-time paranoia. Chicks aren't smart enough to get out of the water- many sad posts where chicks get in a dog bowl or some other kind of water and drown- it doesn't take much. That's why chick waterers are so shallow.

Last edited:
Kelsey, I need to read over all of this info again. I printed it out at work, sans the pics, and left it there... I was pre-occupied. She had 5 of her own and when I went to move her she had 8. This hen barely left her post, so I am amazed anyone else had time to jump in. I thought they were hers, until you said she wouldn't lay more, so we'll see! There was the very first one that died and a putrid one, the one she had poked a hole in. Do you think she knew it was bad and made the hole or because of the hole she made, it became bad? Anyway, I will get back on later, but I wanted to answer WVduckchick - I was too worried to see for myself, so a good friend stopped by and he lifted the lid on the nesting box and shut it quickly, but I saw the goofy look on his face, so I new there was a live chick!!! just one, so far, 5 eggs to go. I am so excited and so thankful to have "met" you all!
jumpy.gif

One of our broody's "besties" kept jumping in the nest box with the broody- in and out, in and out -- and the broody didn't move- but that didn't stop her! Sometimes other hens will lay right on top of a broody- the broody gets up to do her egg-turning, and into the mix they go-- perfect sense why you ended up with more eggs at different ages. Yes, the broodies know when an egg is a goner- they talk to the chicks while they're still in the eggs, and the chicks move within the egg, and the broody can feel this. Some will eat the bad eggs, others push them straight out of the nest- maybe she poked a hole to start the disposal process and it was too gross to eat??? My guess is the egg was bad already.

Yep, sister decided she wanted to help in the last few days :D

A couple days before my broody duck's ducklings were due to hatch, I found an egg in the pool, barely any shell left on it, but membrane intact. I swear, I think momma duck rolled it across the yard and up into the pool to dispose of it or hide it, because it was dead. Fully formed, but dead duckling inside. The rest of her 10 eggs hatched.

One of our broody's "besties" kept jumping in the nest box with the broody- in and out, in and out -- and the broody didn't move- but that didn't stop her! Sometimes other hens will lay right on top of a broody- the broody gets up to do her egg-turning, and into the mix they go-- perfect sense why you ended up with more eggs at different ages. Yes, the broodies know when an egg is a goner- they talk to the chicks while they're still in the eggs, and the chicks move within the egg, and the broody can feel this. Some will eat the bad eggs, others push them straight out of the nest- maybe she poked a hole to start the disposal process and it was too gross to eat??? My guess is the egg was bad already.

YaY! Ok, I will need to hit the feed store tomorrow, because I only have Layer crumbles. I moved mama and eggs into a coop by themselves on Friday, so no one could interfere with them. I have a rogue ground squirrel that somehow knows if an egg has a live chick in it and I lost 2 before I realized what was happening. I didn't plan on hatching any eggs when I started this whole shebang back in November, so this is unchartered territory. I don't have an incubator or plans to get one. Anyhow, I had put the baby waterer in there for Enid, it was all I had and when I grab a bag of Starter, I've got a baby feeder too, I am getting so excited!! A friend lost her chicks all at once I think 3 days after they hatched, so I am guarded right now. My horse has a half barrel, 30 gals, it's about 2 ft high, straight sides, nothing to grab onto. I do keep dog crate bottoms with about an inch of water in them, because we almost broke a couple of records this summer with high temps and I found the only thing that the chickens went for was standing in mud or water. The heat is starting to break a little, am hoping by the time I let Enid and baby/babies out, there should be no need for those anymore. I have no problem going back to trickling the hose all day, if needed, it keeps the dust down as well. I am still laughing of thinking of other hens just invading the broody's space like that! I am fascinated with the thought of them talking to and listening to their babies in eggs, but it makes perfect sense! and that one egg being too gross to eat, was an understatement. I was a vet tech for 20 yrs and I got curious and started to crack the bad egg open..... YUK! I ended it chucking it over my wall into the street!

Back
Top Bottom