Help! Heat index next week predicted to be 111! Should I install an air conditioner?

I always make sure my birds have plenty of cool water w/ icecubes if it gets real hot. I also take a spray bottle full of cool water and mist them down when they pant.

when putting a fan in, do i need to direct the air flow so that it will not hit the birds directly when they're roosting, or is a direct air flow better for when it's hot?

I've seen on the commercial chicken house around here, big fans in one end blowing OUT. They draw air through ventilation slats in one end, through the chicken house and out.
Jack

I'm definitely going to put the fan drawing air out. That's a good idea. So far the heat hasn't materialized but it's just a matter of time in Oklahoma. We have been getting lots of rain but temps have been down so is okay for now. Let's me have breathing room to get the heat ideas set up. Thanks for all the great ideas - heat will be an issue before long and I do love my birds.

When we built our coop, we put a ceiling fan in but as it got hotter in the summer, we did add a wall A/C unit. The girls do have shade to sit under but apparently they figured out that their coop was cooler and I would find them inside. They get plenty of iced water and cold watermelon during our hot summers.

We also have a mist system in their run that is on a timer. They love it.

Last edited:
Here in NC, we have a few weeks of really hot and humid weather. I don't think it is as bad as yours though. I place shallow pans of cool, fresh, water in addition to the drinking water when the weather is really hot. The girls like to wade in the water and cool down a bit. It seems to help. I also will sometimes give them some diluted gatorade to help with hydration. I make my own gatorade for them. I also will sometimes set a sprinkler in the lot and let them get a few minutes of relief in the afternoon. At first they are wary of the sprinkler, but they learn quickly to enjoy the cool water.
I hope this helps!

Air conditioning ?? wow,,,,,,,I wounder how my grandfathers chickens survived 70,,80,,,years ago,,,,,,or anybodys,,,,he lived In Mo. It gets hot and humid there also,,,,,,,just woundering???????????

When we built our coop, we put a ceiling fan in but as it got hotter in the summer, we did add a wall A/C unit. The girls do have shade to sit under but apparently they figured out that their coop was cooler and I would find them inside. They get plenty of iced water and cold watermelon during our hot summers.

We also have a mist system in their run that is on a timer. They love it.

I love your coop, Mama Hen Chris! I'm working on getting mine to look like this (only it is yellow). I do have a ceiling fan I could put in quite easily. Are those the plastic easter eggs that I see in their nests? Wondering if those would work.

Here in NC, we have a few weeks of really hot and humid weather. I don't think it is as bad as yours though. I place shallow pans of cool, fresh, water in addition to the drinking water when the weather is really hot. The girls like to wade in the water and cool down a bit. It seems to help. I also will sometimes give them some diluted gatorade to help with hydration. I make my own gatorade for them. I also will sometimes set a sprinkler in the lot and let them get a few minutes of relief in the afternoon. At first they are wary of the sprinkler, but they learn quickly to enjoy the cool water.
I hope this helps!
Chickens wading - I love it! How do you make your gatorade?

Back
Top Bottom