HELP- Hen keeping 1 eye closed after fighting w/ other chicken

mitthenstate92

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
Central Michigan
Hi all,

I have a ~8 month old hen who is holding one eye closed after getting in a spat with one of her siblings this morning. She has been keeping her distance from the others since but seems to still be eating/drinking and otherwise acting okay. Her other eye is open and appears normal. The eye she is holding closed I have looked at and I can't see any obvious injuries to the cornea/eyelids but she will not open it unless forced. The lower lid looks a tiny but puffy and when i open her lids there are tiny little bubbles in the lower corner of her eye (the right eye is the one with issues).

Should I do anything for her or just leave her be and monitor it? I am newer to raising chickens and appreciate any advice anyone has to give!

Thanks in advance!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
~8month old black australorp, seems to be about same weight as everyone else
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
holding one eye closed, isolating herself after getting into a spat with her sister this morning
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
since this morning
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
other birds are fine (there are 4 hens total)
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no obvious signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
saw two of them pecking and kicking at each other this morning and shortly after she is keeping the eye closed
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina layena crumbles, Grubblies mealworms as a snack, free oyster shells and grit, whatever they find in the yard (free range during day)
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
seems normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
no meds/treatment
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
ideally treat myself, no chicken vets nearby
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
sorry no picture...hard to get one without a second person to hold her
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
4x4 coop with plenty of roost space and 3 ft by 2 ft nest box area. Covered outdoor enclosure (5x10ft) with roost space and dust bath. Free range in a fenced in backyard during the day. Only keep them in the enclosure if I am not home for prolonged periods or when weather is bad. Use pine shavings for bedding and they get changed weekly. Outdoor enclosure is dirt floor.

Can you post any pictures of the bubbles in the eye and the chicken? Some respiratory diseases, such as MG, can cause bubbles in an eye and swelling. Sometimes it is hard to tell an injury from a disease, but a respiratory infection may also cause lethargy, nasal drainage, sneezing, gasping, or crackles when breathing. Certain antibiotics can treat symptoms of MG, and Terramycin eye ointment can be good to apply to the eye after cleaning it twice a day. Use saline eye wash and a clean cloth.

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the delayed reply! I went back out that day to check on her and her eye seemed all better! Must have just been a little sore from fighting with her sister.

Back
Top Bottom