Help! High Humidity throughout incubation

ONE IS PEEPING!!!!! :weeShould i do anything? What should i look for? AHHHH I'm so excited but so nervous!! Can it still drown? Is there anything i should do? Any and all help appreciated:love

Peeping, so it's pipped internally, but not externally, right? There would be a small chance that it could drown if there was a lot of excess fluid and the internal pip caused it to leak into the air cell, but generally speaking it's probably pretty safe.

Sorry I'm so new to all of this... There is a little hole and I can see it moving and hear it peeping!

Attachments

• DSC_9424.JPG
    DSC_9424.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 14
:celebrateYay, just exactly where it should be...... there is an egg down next level and to the right that looks like it may also have a pip. Unsure about that obviously, it may just be a mark on the egg. Anyway, it all looks good. You may want to think about moving the pipper onto a flatter area, pip side up so the chick can bust her way out of there when she is ready. Also, now you are going to need to watch the humidity. Keep it moderately high. Keep us posted, please.....

Is there condensation on your lid? If not your hygrometer may be lying...

Interesting to think about how to bring down humidity... please tell us about YOUR ambient humidity level, I think I might have missed your location somehow.

Anyways... if I was that high, I would consider making like a rice bag intake air filter or something to that effect.

We use rechargeable moisture things (desiccants) in our cars... or our back seat and carpets grow mildew. If I was going to incubate again in that humid an area, I would consider seeing how they worked.

Although drier total incubation will help prevent this heavy of worry in the future, and you already have that planned. :)

A cockerel is a young rooster and when many of them grow up and mature (12+ weeks usually some as early as 8) at that same time they aggressively (more like competitively and clumsily) mate every female in sight... usually the most docile... and take turns holding her down and knocking each other off to take more turns. It isn't actually the same thing as rape but when you see it happen, can be quite um... angering. :mad: If you at least have a separation plan, that will be good. But no shame in either eating them yourself or letting them feed someone else's family. And talk about a good lesson to know where our food comes from (on their level of course). Talking up front and early about what you will do with all the extra males can soften the blow. We knew all along that we wanted to eat ours... but it still took us a long time to be mentally ready to face the challenge. We have succeeded, even though we DID wonder if it would turn us vegetarian. :sick Fortunately it didn't... because I really like hatching and I knew I couldn't continue to do so without a plan in place. Yep... we eat our Silkie boys! :drool I did find someone who will process for me for $5 each, and still as humanely as I can. Though we did have to do them ourselves' first.. with LOTS of BYC support and information. But it's a skill I am sooo thankful to have so that if any of my birds get injured or the like, past the point of simple repair... then I can help them out without extra suffering on their part.

So to wrap it up... cockerel and pullet are the correct terms for chickens under 1 year old. Then they are referred to as hen and rooster. BUT... it's my understanding that rooster is not an accepted term at shows and they are called cocks, more accurately. My family still uses the term roo in casual conversation even though we know it is technically like slang. :pop
Thank you so much for all of that information :love! I'm not sure yet what we will do with the cockerels if we get a lot of them. We will probably just separate them! I will definitely start educating myself a lot more on all things chickens!! :D

:celebrateYay, just exactly where it should be...... there is an egg down next level and to the right that looks like it may also have a pip. Unsure about that obviously, it may just be a mark on the egg. Anyway, it all looks good. You may want to think about moving the pipper onto a flatter area, pip side up so the chick can bust her way out of there when she is ready. Also, now you are going to need to watch the humidity. Keep it moderately high. Keep us posted, please.....
Thank you!!! What should the humidity be at right now? It is only at 61%. Can I open the incubator to add some water? If I move the one that has peeped can I lay it on its side or is that dangerous still!

I would add a warm wet sponge, I use a new one cut in half to avoid any contamination issues. It is just a bit quicker to slip a sponge in than to take the lid off to add water if that is what you have to do with your incubator. I think getting it up to about 65 - 70% would be ideal. If you want to wait on moving your little pipper, no worries, it will hatch upright also, but the chick will have to navigate around the next door eggs and onto the floor of the incubator. I do not think there is any risk involved of putting the egg on the floor of the bator. You could do this at the same time as adding the sponge or water. Add warm water, it helps to keep the humidity up immediately.

Depending on the size of the air cell, I think I'd probably just leave it where it is. Laying it down the wrong direction, IF there is much fluid, could be more harmful. Tough call without actually seeing in the egg.

And the pip looks like a good strong one, so humidity is probably ok. JMHO

I also noticed the possible pip, diagonal from the one with the hole. Check that one for sure.

I would add a warm wet sponge, I use a new one cut in half to avoid any contamination issues. It is just a bit quicker to slip a sponge in than to take the lid off to add water if that is what you have to do with your incubator. I think getting it up to about 65 - 70% would be ideal. If you want to wait on moving your little pipper, no worries, it will hatch upright also, but the chick will have to navigate around the next door eggs and onto the floor of the incubator. I do not think there is any risk involved of putting the egg on the floor of the bator. You could do this at the same time as adding the sponge or water. Add warm water, it helps to keep the humidity up immediately.
Thank you! I added a sponge soaked in hot water and put the egg on its side! Now just waiting and watching!

O
Depending on the size of the air cell, I think I'd probably just leave it where it is. Laying it down the wrong direction, IF there is much fluid, could be more harmful. Tough call without actually seeing in the egg.

I also noticed the possible pip, diagonal from the one with the hole. Check that one for sure.
OK. I just put the egg back in the carton. Inside the egg looks dry but I don't know for sure. Better safe than sorry :fl

I thought so too, I wondered if maybe it was just a mark on the egg, but here's hoping:fl. The OP has already put the egg on its side, should she put it back in the carton? I totally defer to your good judgement. Ooops never mind. She just responded that she put it back.

Back
Top Bottom