HELP! I am now mama to 17 duck eggs and lost as can be...

The temp is right on at 99. I am misting but truthfully not sure what all that in tells or how I am to be doing it. I am turning the eggs. I have been canlding daily just because I am not incubating them so just trying my best to keep an eye on them.

Full blown panic mode here!!! This morning I candled all my eggs and seen ALOT of differences. The air sac for the last 2 days has been very large and by all accounts full term so to speak. Today the sacs were still large but like a light orange below and I can see the ducklings. Some are moving!!! I am worried because they seem stuck at the bottom and can't get into the air sacks. Is that weird?

If any of the eggs have internally pipped you need to stop turning right now. Turning at this point can make it harder for them to hatch. Other than that, it sounds like you are doing a really good job. As far as the misting goes, just spray a little water over the eggs every few hours. This will keep the membrane from drying out and gluing the ducklings inside the shell. You might even want to put a wet sponge in the box to help keep the humidity up. Also if you have a hydrometer, that could be helpful. I think the humidity is supposed to be about 75% but you'd have to double check with someone else as I don't usually measure it in my incubator. Also, once they start to externally pip you wont want to get any water in the hole so be really careful. I would not mess with them again until they have all hatched except for spraying them with water to keep the humidity up. Over all it sounds like you're doing a really good job.
I really think you could have some ducklings soon!
big_smile.png

Good luck!
fl.gif

*Humidity should be 65-70%

Last edited:
Thank you so very much!!!Why is it it is luke warm water? That is what I have been using though. I will leave them alone then. This is so darn stressful though lol. Truth is no matter what I wouldn't change a thing:) Where do you get a hydrometer?

You should be able to get a hydrometer from most pet stores (they are used in reptile cages) and I think the water is supposed to be lukewarm because the temperature of the water effects the eggs temperature and anything too hot or cold could be a real problem.
I know this is really stressful, but I'm so glad you saved them. They wouldn't have a chance without you!

How long has it been since the first internal pip? Were you able to get a hydrometer? If so whats the humidity at? Try not to worry too much. They`re probably still just fine, it takes about 24hrs after internally piping to pip externally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom