HELP! I can't figure correct baytril dose, my silkie is close to death

Alfred's Mama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Recently my baby boy Alfred has been recieving treatment for a severe vitamin D deficiency and inflammation in his hock, he's slowly responding to his medicine and was starting to walk but now is sneezing, lethargic, has slightly runny droppings and keeps gaping and trembling, it looks like he's having a very hard time breathing - the problem I have is that it's Sunday, I won't have money til monday so I can'tget help at the vets til then *BUT* I do have some baytril 2.5 spare until then, I know this is all worked out with maths but I absolutely cannot do it, I don't even know his weight, just that he's a 4 month old male silkie, I think he's a bantam, my hand (wrist to fingertip) covers the base of his tail to the back of his head; please somebody help me work out a safe dose for him that will also give him the best chance of beating respiritory infection, if possible to be given direct into his mouth with a syringe so that I can be sure he gets it all in. I've been up all night with him and am so worried, I'd be so utterly devestated if I lost him
sad.png

I'm not sure what the Baytril dose would be. He may have gapeworm instead since from what I have read the symptoms of infestation are very similar to what you are describing. I am sure someone will come along soonest and give you some advice. At the very least I've bumped you back up on the list a bit.

Thank you Chinchilla, to be honest I had totally overlooked the possibility of gapeworm, I had heard it was fairly rare, especially in chickens that spend alot of time indoors - he's had alot of foot and leg problems and doesn't do too well outside; I'm terrified that his vet will refuse to treat for gapeworm as well as an infection, the thing is if I treat one and not the other, and it turns out to be the other I'm going to lose him, he's my only chicken and very much a mummy's boy, for now at least he seems to have found some peace and is resting, his breathing is slightly more at ease but as soon as he moves he'll start to struggle and gape again; is there any way I can be totally sure what's causing it without a vet? I spent £108 pounds for his leg treatment last week and am totally broke until tomorrow now, I feel like crying so badly

I forgot to add, since last night he shakes all over, like a tremble after getting up and moving around, even for a few seconds, he's also started wedging his back end up in the corner of the armchair he's sat in so that his tail is higher up than the rest of him, should I discourage him from doing that or is it easier for him to breath in that position or something? The vetinary practice isn't open til 10am and I'm starting to panic - if his current vet referrs his treatment to the local one and advise them on dosage I might just be able to afford a baytril injection, if possible and if they're willing, gapeworm treatment too - does anyone else from the UK have a rough idea how much those cost? Even just a rough amount so I know how much I need - has anyone here had either of those treatments and gotten fast results? Any help is so greatly appreciated

Quote:
It's liquid, I'm very much on my own with him at the moment - with little to no money I can't even guarantee I can get him to the vets til morning, I haven't slept a wink
hmm.png

Here's a link I pulled from an earlier BYC thread.

I can't open any pdf. with this pc so I don't know what it says.

I had to use Baytril liquid earlier this year on a chicken with bumble foot but the vet only gave me enough for the treatment and that was all.

I hope this link will help and I sure hope the best for your baby.
hugs.gif
I assume you are keeping it warm with something.

http://www.poultry.baytril.com/index.ph … nRespi.pdf

I went back to the thread and got this. If I knew how to get the link to a thread I would but I'm just learning how to copy/paste and not all I try come through.

Here is a quote from this site:

One mL of Baytril 10% oral solution contains 100 mg of the active ingredient enrofloxacin. Chickens and turkeys are dosed at 10 mg enrofloxacin per kg bodyweight for 3 to 5 consecutive days. When Baytril 10% oral solution is reconstituted in drinking water of regular quality (pH 6.5 to 7.5), solutions with concentrations of enrofloxacin from 20 to 200 ppm (20 to 200 mg enrofloxacin/L water) are stable at temperatures up to 50° C, for at least 48 hours. Only with exceptionally high concentrations of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in the water precipitations of active may occur. Be also aware that direct exposure to sunlight (UV rays) will inactivate enrofloxacin in drinking water solutions.

I have his weight finally, he is just 545 grams, 45 grams over half a kg; for 2.5 percent baytril what amount do I give him? I am so terrible at maths it's unreal, I can't even give him any until somebody helps me work this out
sad.png

Alfred's Mama :

I have his weight finally, he is just 545 grams, 45 grams over half a kg; for 2.5 percent baytril what amount do I give him? I am so terrible at maths it's unreal, I can't even give him any until somebody helps me work this out
sad.png

Here is my Silkie's Baytril prescription. She weighed one and a half pounds at the time. The strength of the Baytril was 11.3 mg/ml.
We gave her 0.7ml. every 4 hours.

If your 4 month old weighs 3/4 of a lb. then you could give 0.35ml if the concentration of Baytril is the same as the above (11.3mg/ml).​

Back
Top Bottom