HELP i got loose garage guineas

Quote:
Here is Katee and I. She is hitched to a Hickory Road cart that I built myself. (from a kit) We are at the beginning of the driveway to my house in the desert. Right now she is semi Retired Stuffin her face up there and enjoying her Goaties. On the other side of the hill in the picture is BLM land and on the other side of that is Mexico. Appx 2 miles away.

72852_buggy_ride.jpg

Here we are at the one big horse show we ever went to. Draft Horse and Mule Show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.

72852_katee_and_deb_at_del_mar1.jpg

stats:

Rocking Jolly Kateen, 17.1 hands, 1700 lbs in the pix. Katee is a small Percheron. My friend Cathy has a six up hitch of Percherons like the Budweiser Clydesdales. Her wheelers (the biggest ones hitched near the wagon have to turn and stop it) Her wheelers are 19 hands and run around 2300 to 2500 lbs. I am Five foot seven and a half and Katee is a half an inch taller than me, Cathys Wheelers are eight inches taller than me. The wheels on the cart are 52 inches in diameter.

She's gorgeous! My Perchie was also 17 hands. She was saddle and hitch trained, and any bigger under saddle was more than I felt I could deal with. Bella was just right. I miss miss miss her! She's in great hands, but every time I get new pics I cry all over again. I sold her to someone who had been an admirer for years because I worried that the trip from there to here would have been too much on her - she's a senior - but if I had it to do all over again I would have planned a layover of a few days and brought her with me.

Great looking cart, btw. I have a Hafie now and I've been toying with the idea of a small buckboard kit. Who did you order yours from? Was it very difficult to assemble?

LOL... comin' in late on this thread, but congrats on the successful round up and getting them moved up to your house. I can just picture you and Dean trying to catch those lil wayward escapees (been there done that a few times, lol). Glad you got them all!

Love the pics of you and Katee... AWESOME!

Quote:
Katee is the whole reason I have eighteen acres.... I told her when I brought her down from Washington State that she would never change hands again.

Yep I have to go back up to the house today because my ""Brilliant"" idea of the big water tank wasn't working when we left. And I have to get them a bit more settled OMG you should have seen the big kids when I brought the little uns in. All the rubber necking and peering into the littleun cage..... too funny.

In order to get the big cage in we had to catch and contain the big birds first. I went into the coop and stood in a manner that made the big birds uncomfortable enough they all went inside their original brooder cage with their teeny little mirror.... LOL. I only had to lay hands on ONE to get it in the cage. Because we had to take one coop wall down to get the ""Keets in the Mail"" cage into the coop. Built it too big to get through any doors... Slappin forehead.... Nother brilliant idea... Anyway it proved to my son that the coop panels are easy to work with so I am hoping that later when it comes time for the rebuild he will be more relaxed about helping me. Back to the Great bird shuffle. We put the cage with eleven almost grown Guineas on the opposite side of the coop between the water tank and the exterior wall. Then the Big cage went in the space that is in the opposite corner.

This Littlun cage will be disassembled once I get my aviary panels up. Because right now the little buggers can go right through chainlink. The big birds will be moved to the bigger half of the coop before then too. That way the Littleuns will have a full 6 x 12 feet of space and the Biguns will have 10 x 12 feet of space. Boy those big birds are getting pretty. my last guineas didnt have that bluish hue to their white neck parts. I thought that that coloring was reserved for the wild guineas. A testament to feeding them right I am sure.... Thanks PeepsCA.

perchie.girl I LOVE your pics and your percheron too
love.gif
will have to look into cart kits.... I have a mini I would love to train to pull a cart .... are the kits less expensive?

Quote:
This kit plus shipping costs was about half of what I could spend on the same cart alone. Shipping for a fully assembled Draft horse sized cart would run between 1000 to 1200 dollars. Part of my problem is San Diego has no Carriage builders or harness makers or is even close to one. The nearest ones in California are in northern California. Depending on your location you may be able to get something much much easier already put together. The place I bought my kit no longer sells them....
sad.png
If you havent driven before get some training yourself first. PM or Email and I can pass on some more info... I love to talk horse.

Back
Top Bottom