HELP! I have chickens with lice!

atm21

Songster
Sep 1, 2016
I’ve discovered my chickens have lice and lice eggs. They are on the skin tan in color. How can I properly treat this the easiest way possible? I have about 40 chickens. Does Atroban 11% work? I have permethrin 10% but that’s just for spraying the coop right? I’d rather not use it bc I have farm cats running around and I read it’s not safe for them. There is way to much information on this issue that everyone debunks and says doesn’t work so what’s worked for everyone here? Thanks for the help!

It looks like the Atroban (contains permethrin) will work at 3 tablespoonsful (45 ml) per gallon will work in a spray bottle. Spray about 15 ml on each chicken unless it is very cold out. Then you can purchase permethrin garden dust and use it to dust them. Repeat in 10 days, and then look for the pressence of more lice in 10 more days since lice hatch every 10 days. The coop bedding must be thrown out far away, and the coop should be sprayed, then new bedding added. Here is the manufacturer’s label to double check the dosage for poultry:
https://valleyvet.cvpservice.com/product/view/basic/1047007

Is permethrin dangerous to cats has anyone else heard or read and to what extent. I just recently tried using the Davis poultry spray I think it’s supposed to be natural or something. But it did nothing for the lice at all, and I soaked the heck out of them. So I’ll have to look into the atroban. Thank you!

Permethrin can be toxic to cats, but I have used it for years in my coop to help prevent lice, mites, wood borers, flies, and mosquitoes. Just make sure that it dries for an hour before any animals go into the coop. I have 4 healthy cats, and they sometimes go up around the chicken run.

Ok perfect I think I’m gonna try the permethrin dust since the weather is colder now. Hopefully I can do it quickly at night and get them while they sleep. Then do the coop the next morning and lock the chickens out while it settles. Thank you for the help!

Ok perfect I think I’m gonna try the permethrin dust since the weather is colder now. Hopefully I can do it quickly at night and get them while they sleep. Then do the coop the next morning and lock the chickens out while it settles. Thank you for the help!
Best of luck!

Question! I dusted my chickens Halloween night so about 9 days ago. I’ve checked several hens and I don’t see any lice moving around. I’ve checked a few times since day 2 making sure to check the most infected hen that had huge clumps of eggs originally. I’ve not seen living lice I do see eggs still attached at the base of feathers however. Does this dust kill eggs? I’m confused why there is still eggs without any lice and I’ve checked 7 of my 40 hens. Am I supposed to do it again? Or just one time? I also sprayed their coop down with the atroban (contains permethrin) the next morning after the dust treatment

Question! I dusted my chickens Halloween night so about 9 days ago. I’ve checked several hens and I don’t see any lice moving around. I’ve checked a few times since day 2 making sure to check the most infected hen that had huge clumps of eggs originally. I’ve not seen living lice I do see eggs still attached at the base of feathers however. Does this dust kill eggs? I’m confused why there is still eggs without any lice and I’ve checked 7 of my 40 hens. Am I supposed to do it again? Or just one time? I also sprayed their coop down with the atroban (contains permethrin) the next morning after the dust treatment
As Eggcessive said, lice hatch every 10 days so you will need to repeat the treatment then. The treatment won't kill the eggs. I would do at 3 treatments total.

Back
Top Bottom