Help! I have one male and one female duckling!

Elena symon

Hatching
Apr 30, 2020
So I recently bought two ducklings, hoping both were females so we could eat their eggs. But, I just found out that one is male and one is female. Should I return the male? I read only that you shouldn’t have a 1:1 ratio when it comes to male vs female ducks. Help!!!

Sometimes a pair is fine. I've had good luck and bad luck with pairs. Often the bantam breeds do well as pairs. But LF pairs can work as well. I had a pair that was a WH drake and a pekin hen for a year or so without any issues.

If the place where you got them from will let you exchange, though, it might be best to swap the male for a female in order to avoid issues. I assume these guys are old enough now that you were able to sex them by voice?

No they are
Sometimes a pair is fine. I've had good luck and bad luck with pairs. Often the bantam breeds do well as pairs. But LF pairs can work as well. I had a pair that was a WH drake and a pekin hen for a year or so without any issues.

If the place where you got them from will let you exchange, though, it might be best to swap the male for a female in order to avoid issues. I assume these guys are old enough now that you were able to sex them by voice?
No they are currently less than a month old but I wanted to know if it was okay to have a 1:1 ratio. One of my ducks is MUCH larger and acts a lot more like a male

They are both pekin ducks. Any experience with those? I’ve grown pretty attached to the ducks so I didn’t want to have to return or switch either of them but if I have to then I will :(

They are both pekin ducks. Any experience with those? I’ve grown pretty attached to the ducks so I didn’t want to have to return or switch either of them but if I have to then I will :(

I have pekins. Usually males and females are the same size as they grow until they get older. You might just have a fast grower or a slow grower. I would wait, because in about two weeks you'll be able to tell if they're females or not for sure.

Back
Top Bottom