Help I need advice on how to grieve because my duckling died

Flow

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2022
Ok so it’s a wild story and I made this account just for yknow doing this. Ok so this is where it all started, ok so was my grandparents house and keep in mind they live by a duck pond and they said to me hey Ruby we found a duck egg. And obviously being me I said I wanted to see it not touch it just see it. And it was just there all alone no other eggs no mother, so I decided to touch it and what do you know it is cold to the touch and said we needed to incubate it (my grandparents said they haven’t seen the mother all day) So we brought it home bought an incubator and i candled it every few days and I was getting hyped up like I’m gonna have a duck. 28 long days later it pipped but it was at the wrong end and I got worried but a few days later it barely made any progress but I wanted to wait just in case, and I successfully chipped away and peeled back that leather stuff watching to make sure the wasn’t and blood and it hatched the rest on its own. I left it in the incubator to dry off and rest a little then put him in my brooder I took him out every so often to snuggle and he would calmly go to sleep in my arms, it hatched 2 days ago and when it did I started not feeling well. And I ended up getting sick with a cold (I’m still sick) and everything was going well and she was walking and running to me and it was the sweetest thing and would jump up on my shoulder and bury her head into my hair he was also eating well. And I would put him in the brooder at night and put on music and the clear bin on my bed. Last night tho I was really not feeling well and she was chirping extra loud so I took her out and was gonna go back to sleep once I calmed her but I fell asleep and I wake up this morning she had gone limp and i new she was gone and I knew it was all my fault. Are there any suggestions for grieving and how to stop blaming myself for what happened

You gave that little duck a chance when it didn't have one. And you clearly loved it dearly. That's a wonderful thing. I'm sorry it passed. They just do sometimes and we may never know the reason why. I lost 2 baby chicks this year who were doing fine one day and inexplicably passed the next. Those first few days are dicey, and nothing is a guarantee.

Read that article. It is good stuff. And grieve, cry, listen to sad songs. It's ok to be sad. It will get better as time passes. The memories stay. The sadness subsides.

((((hugs))))
:hugs

Glad to meet you, Ruby, and very sorry for your loss. :hugs The article has good ideas, and I really like Zoologist's idea of painting a memorial stone for your duckling. It has really helped me and my kids when we lost beloved animals. And it really does happen despite all the best care and love in the world. Doing some sort of art, and getting a new pet are two really good, accessible ways to move through grief. 💔

Back
Top Bottom