Help I need some advice!

Danisclan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Small town in New Mexico
I have been looking all over for some keets or eggs and havent found any around. Wrll I got someone that has 35 eggs hes willing to give me. My friend is comming through town to bring them to me, he lives 4 hours away. The problem .... he had just put them in the incubator 2 days ago she will pick them up tomorrow. Can they safely be transported that long without affecting their hatch? If so what is the beginning humidity they start snd for how long? What day is lock down and whats the humidity go up to? Whats tbe perfect temp through out? I so bafly hope this is possible I desperately want more guineas 7 is not nearly enough!
Any opinions are helpful. Dani

More than likely the eggs will get cold and the developing cells on the germinal disc will die during transit.The eggs have to stay at least 99 degrees to stay viable/alive for the trip home. They shouldn't be allowed to cool. If there's a way to keep the eggs warm then they should be ok, but if there is a chance that they may go cold you might as well let the person incubate/hatch them, then make arrangements to pick up the newly hatched keets.

The correct incubation temp for a still air incubator (no fan inside) needs to be 101.5-102, measured on top of the eggs, and in a circulated air incubator (with a fan inside) the temp needs to be 99.5. Humidity needs to be 45-50% for incubation until day 24/25, then the humidity needs to be raised to at least 65% for hatch/clock-down (I aim for 75% tho).

Good idea... I have never transported live developing eggs before but I was thinking maybe a couple of bottles of HOT water wrapped in warm moist towels with the eggs sitting on them in a small ice chest might be an idea too... and of course be sure to have your incubator stable, ready and waiting.

Good luck!

Thats what im hoping from, for that price (free) for a variety ofcolors... im hoping to get even a few. I never make it where hes at to get them, so once in a life time chance for me so have my toes crossed!

Well we decided to wait on the eggs. Hoping the guy will finish incubating for me, and then we can make a special trip yo pick them up. I don't know what he will want for them if he has to finish incubating them. I really need to work on my patience, I cant help but be a little disappointed! I want them now! Wish I knew someone in my area that raised keets!"

Back
Top Bottom